Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CM9 vs. PM9 vs MK9

Default CM9 vs. PM9 vs MK9

Hello folks,

Wondering your thoughts regarding whether it is worth the extra money to get a PM9 vs. a CM9. Looking for long-term quality, reliability, etc. Will probably carry AIWB and pocket. (I once had a CM9 and was quite happy with it, sorry I sold it now).

I currently carry a Glock 26 AIWB and it just is a bit too wide for AIWB comfort. (I'm a skinny guy).

I would LOVE to own a MK9, from everything I've read they are terrific firearms. I assume too heavy for pocket carry but have never held one. If it was very comfortable AIWB, I would consider the MK9.

Has anyone carried IWB both a "baby Glock" and a Kahr? Do you notice a big difference regarding comfort? I pocket carried the CM 9 many years ago abut it's been so long, I've forgotten much about it).

Thanks in advance for your responses and advice.

Dave

The Glock's a good bit thicker and heavier than the CM9 and PM9. That alone makes them easier to carry AIWB and a viable pocket carry. My MK9 has the wood grips that add a bit of width and it's weight is very close to the Glock. Stock grips will make it thinner than the Glock, but the weight still makes it only a IWB/AIWB gun. In my opinion of course. I just don't like much more than 15 ounces in a pocket unless it's some sort of cargo pocket or jacket.

The answer to the PM9 vs CM9 question. In my opinion it's money and aesthetics. Choose the one that suits your pocket and eyes. The sights on the p series are easier to change, but I prefer a two dot system so the standard sights on both would be what I want.

Default K9 Elite

I own a MK40 Elite and love it.
    Although I bought it for pocket carry.
    And as you suspected found it too heavy for that.
    It disappears on a belt and is very comfortable.
    But if I had it to do over again.
    I'd have gotten the larger higher capacity K40.
    With belt carry it makes more sense.
    The all stainless gun is expensive though.
    But of very high quality.
    Sometimes you can get blem K9s at a good price.
    Pocket carry I really recommend a lighter polymer gun.
    Never owned a PM/CM9.
    But either should serve you well.

Good Luck!

BTW you came to the right place for all things Kahr...

I own a MK9 and I find it is just a bit heavy for pocket carry. I carry a CW9 OWB, 4 o'clock. I like the CM 9 and find that there really is minimal difference in accuracy between the CM and Mk. I would purchase the CM9 and use the difference in cost for spare mags and ammo.

The MK9 is solid. It is accurate & reliable.

I own all three of these models - CM/PM/MK9.

I also own 2 CW380s and a P380.

For most of the pants I wear, there's no problem pocket carrying any of the 9mm micros - even the MK. The extra weight of the MK just doesn't bother me.

On those occasions that I wear dress pants, all of the 9mm micros aren't as easy/comfortable as a 380 in the pocket.

If the stock sights or Trijicon 3 dot night sights work for you, I'd go with the CM9. Some people claim that the PM is better quality than the CM, but not in my experience. They're both very good.

If you really want a steel frame Kahr, get the MK. It is really exceptional in every way, and if you don't have one, you'll wish you did. You can always add a CM9 later if you find one at a good price (easy).

If I could only have one/ or afford one, it'd be the CM9.

Best thing is, they all take the same magazines, and if you get a holster that fits the PM/CM9, the MK will likely fit it as well.

If you get a CM9 and a CW380, it'll cover pretty much any possible choice of clothing for about the cost of a PM9 or MK9. This would be my recommendation for pocket carry.

I have pocket carried an MK9 for 7+ years. No problem with suspenders, which I wear. A bit heavy to carry in pocket with just a belt. I have a tuckable holster that I use for IWB carry, and I can move it in to an AIWB position which is comfortable. A quality metal firearm. As for PM or CM, for close quarters which is what the firearm is for, either would work just fine. A PM or CM would be easy to pocket carry IMHO.

I have a PM9 and MK40. The MK is almost a half pound heavier, even though it is very slightly smaller. I can pocket carry the PM if necessary, but not the MK.

After reading da 'bone's post about wearing suspenders, I dug out a pair of Perry suspenders from the closet.

I usually wear these to ensure my britches don't fall down under my fishing chest waders, and they work great for that.

Figured I'd try 'em with my cargo shorts with just a t-shirt covering them. Instead of cranking my belt down to hold my shorts up, I left it just snug.

Well whatya know - that works really well! After I got used to the feel of the suspenders against bare skin, it was totally comfortable.

Add this to the list of things I've learned on this forum. Thanks berettabone!

I have a pm9 and love it, but it wouldn't be my choice for a new gun. But if you happen to find a good deal on one used, snap it up!

If you want an inexpensive, lightweight workhorse that you don't mind getting scratched/banged up, get a cm9 (unless you like changing sights). And if you want a lifetime gun that you'll baby and maybe pass down to your kids/grandkids, get the mk9.

If you're in the market at the PM9 pricepoint, do check out the sig p365. Just a smidge wider/heavier than the pm9, but with more capacity and faster follow-up shots. If you go that route, try to get one made in June or July to avoid some of the issues on early production units.