Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK9 Impressions

Default MK9 Impressions

Well my new MK9 arrived and it's totally cool! So glad I snagged one. I am very impressed with the finish. Was originally looking for an Elite to match my K9 but when I found the standard model for $495 I jumped on it. It doesn't have the shine of my K9 but the frosty finish is very attractive. Trigger pull is super smooth and the gun feels good in the hand. In my hand at least it feels like my stainless PPK with the flat bottom magazine in place. Slightly smaller in size except for the muzzle, 9mm vs 32acp. It's funny that it reminds me of the PPK because I bought my K9 because it felt like a miniature version of my Browning Hi Power. I wish the MK9 came with the soft Hogue grips like the K9, am going to look into the Lakeline G10 grips. Also thinking about the Wolf recoil system. I have a Kusiak Old Fashioned holster on order, should make for a nice carry setup. So far I'm very impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett View Post
    Well my new MK9 arrived and it's totally cool! So glad I snagged one. I am very impressed with the finish. Was originally looking for an Elite to match my K9 but when I found the standard model for $495 I jumped on it. It doesn't have the shine of my K9 but the frosty finish is very attractive. Trigger pull is super smooth and the gun feels good in the hand. In my hand at least it feels like my stainless PPK with the flat bottom magazine in place. Slightly smaller in size except for the muzzle, 9mm vs 32acp. It's funny that it reminds me of the PPK because I bought my K9 because it felt like a miniature version of my Browning Hi Power. I wish the MK9 came with the soft Hogue grips like the K9, am going to look into the Lakeline G10 grips. Also thinking about the Wolf recoil system. I have a Kusiak Old Fashioned holster on order, should make for a nice carry setup. So far I'm very impressed!
    I have read that Kahr grips are designed after the Hi Power grip angle/feel. I am an HP lover myself.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    I have read that Kahr grips are designed after the Hi Power grip angle/feel. I am an HP lover myself.
    That would explain it, the K9 feels like a mini Hi Power to me. I was saddened when the Hi Power was put out to pasture a couple of years back. Fortunately for us fans 80+ years of production means they can still be found.

Congrats on the new gun! I'm a big fan of my MK40!

No pictures? I know we all already know what one looks like but still...

Thanks norcalAF, it's nice being in the MK club!

187911, If you saw my flip phone you would understand why there are no pictures! lol

Thanks norcalAF, it's nice being in the MK club!

187911, If you saw my flip phone you would understand why there are no pictures! lol
    I had wanted a MK series ever since I shot my FIL's PM9 many years ago. That started me looking at Kahr's other offerings. I had never ran across one that was reasonably priced, and over the years a K9 came and regrettably went (at least it went towards a Match Champion). I picked up a PM9 of my own, but it wasn't reliable with hollowpoints so it went down the river(straight across for a new 590A1 marinecote).

Finally, I came across a guy that wanted to trade a MK40 for a G43 that I had. Came with 4 mags, two flush and two +1. I swapped out the recoil spring for the wolf set-up, as the stock one was beat up (probably the original, it made a crunching noise while manipulating the slide ). A little bit of elbow grease and she cleaned right up. I even found what may have been the last unused set of CT grips for it. It was a lot of fun finding one of my grail guns.

Short while back I stumbled on a nice used mk9 for little money. Had no Kahr experience at that time, bought it on price alone. After the first range trip, all the other pistols went back in the safe. The mk9 was so perfectly sized, so reliable and accurate I couldn't believe it. I had sworn off striker fired pistols (except for the little pocket carries) since my Glock. The Kahr is different as you all know, like a slicked up 'smith DA. Long story short, a P9 entered my life but I had a bit of trouble with the recoil (arthritic trigger finger). A friend helped me out and got me out from under it. I used those proceeds toward my black K9. Only 130 rds before the virus closed the ranges that I shoot at. Been using this time reloading up a storm, good load so far is W231, 125gr zero hp. Works well in both the mk9 and my k9.

Both the mk9 and the k9 carry well in my galco matrix.

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

Well the MK9 brings me up to 4 Kahrs, 2 poly and 2 steel. Handling them back to back it seems to me that the MK9 and K9 seem far smoother (for lack of a better word) than their polymer brothers. I can't really explain it. They all have great triggers but on the steel guns every thing seems to snick into place when operated. The difference is quite noticeable, wish I could explain it better. Not bashing the polymer Kahrs, I'm pleased with mine! I just thought the difference between polymer and steel would be just the weight, the steel ones just seem like a bank vault Swiss watch kind of gun.