Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: P380 On The Way

My P380 and CW 380 both love Blazer brass and Hornady Critical Defense.

Years ago (1980-90s?) Dynamit Nobel (Geco) had a round called the "Ballistic Action Trauma" (BAT). If I remember correctly, it was very expensive. I believe it was similar to all the polymer filled hollow points we have today, but it was an all copper hollow point. I believe Dynamit Nobel makes Geco, Norma, Hirtenberger and RWS.

Terminal ballistics of the 9mm with Action Safety bullet or Blitz-Action-Trauma (BAT) ammunition.

Specialty ammunition creating atypical gunshot wounds of entrance can create confusion and may be misinterpreted by pathologists unfamiliar with the terminal ballistics of these projectiles. The previously unreported wound ballistics caused by the 9mm with Action Safety bullet described in a homicide highlights the atypical entrance wound(s) and wounding capacity of this novel ammunition. Manufactured by Geco division of Dynamit Nobel, the bullet consists of a nonjacketed solid copper alloy bullet body without a conventional lead core. The large deformation well and part of the smaller central channel is filled with a hard plastic core and post that creates a round nose bullet. The internal ballistics and unique design allow the plastic nose cap and post to separate from the copper alloy base while still in the barrel. The radiolucent nose cap leaves the bullet's path but can still penetrate tissue giving the appearance of a separate but smaller entrance wound. The sharp leading edge of the deformation well and relative high velocity of the bullet body creates a punched out entrance wound with minimal marginal abrasion. When the plastic nose cap or fragments of the plastic post impact the subject, test firings may allow an inference to the muzzle-target distance even in the absence of soot deposition or stippling.

Good to hear, Bosco...I can finally uncross my fingers. FWIW, I will never again waste money on aluminum-cased Blazer...had a bad experience with it in .44 special several years ago, and ended up giving away most of the box. As far as I'm concerned it's pure, unadulterated junk.

Like The Colonel, I've never heard of Geco, and I wouldn't worry too much about how the P380 performs with it.
    Last edited by gale155; 08-30-2018 at 04:58 AM.

I think the springs in Kahrs are pretty stiff and cause more of the "break-in" problems than ejectors and mags, although there are a decent amount of those. It may be why I've never had any problems with my 9mms and 45s from Kahr because I run hotter loads even in my range ammo. When my tungsten 380 gets here this week it'll be fed fairly hot ammo from day one. That way I can(almost) eliminate one reason for failure if one arises. I'm glad to hear your 380 is doing its thing!

Never used it in anything but 9 or 45 but I never had an issue with it myself.
    Broke my PM45 in with 350 rounds of it right out of the box with zero failures.

My son was shooting too so I didn't shoot all 350 myself but I probably could have.

Being a reloader I of course prefer brass anytime I can get it, but occasionally go the aluminum out of convenience.

Department actually used the aluminum for training ammo for a bit during the ammo crunch when we had a hard time getting anything.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Never used it in anything but 9 or 45 but I never had an issue with it myself.
    Broke my PM45 in with 350 rounds of it right out of the box with zero failures.

My son was shooting too so I didn't shoot all 350 myself but I probably could have.

Being a reloader I of course prefer brass anytime I can get it, but occasionally go the aluminum out of convenience.

Department actually used the aluminum for training ammo for a bit during the ammo crunch when we had a hard time getting anything.
    My only problem was with a .44 revolver...the recoil was causing the bullets in the unfired rounds to move outward from the cases, causing the cylinder to jam. This happened at an inopportune and embarrassing time. If Blazer aluminum rounds are that lightly crimped (if crimped at all), I want nothing more to do with them.

I wasn't aware they even made stuff that big but I could see that happening with aluminum cases. Just don't seem like aluminum would hold a crimp like brass.
    9 and 45 being a tapered crimp, I would think I'd see more bullet jump with them but I never have. Either the crimp is good enough for those calibers or maybe my theory is completely off.

I know that was one of the early issues with Trapdoor Springfield Carbines and rumored to be part of the reason for Custers sad end. They used copper for cases and it apparently was too soft. Officers walked around with sticks to clear jammed barrels. Carbines didn't come with a cleaning rod.
    Don't recall the exact details, I'll have to look again and refresh.

Memory is a horrible thing to lose.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm sure you do. I always question ammo brands with funny names. Never heard of Geco and I know nothing about it at all but it's one that I would not even look at passing it on the shelf.
    I'd never heard of it, either. But I was determined to spend as little $$$ as possible getting through my 200-round break-in, especially given how expensive .380 is.

Ammoseek listed the Geco as the cheapest in less-than-bulk quantities at the time, so I jumped at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    That’s good news. Definitely try some Blazer if you can.

Thanks. Will do...

Quote Originally Posted by gale155 View Post
    Good to hear, Bosco...I can finally uncross my fingers.
    Like The Colonel, I've never heard of Geco, and I wouldn't worry too much about how the P380 performs with it.
    Thanks for the assist...I needed all the luck I could get!

And I agree about the ammo...I will never carry FMJ in this pistol with all the great offerings in SD .380 ammo these days. My next trip out I may bring out some Hornady and Underwood XTP rounds, which are a little hotter than the Black Hills. I'd be delighted with either of those, but Critical Defense is fine with me, too.

Has anyone had any luck with the Extreme Defender or Extreme Penetrator rounds with the Kahrs?