Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Kahr CW9 into a Covert

Default Kahr CW9 into a Covert

A friend of mine has a P9 Covert (PM grip and P9 slide) which he refuses to sell to me.

is there any company that is offering to modify a CW9 grip to a CM9 size?

I am not the type of person to take a hacksaw and sandpaper to my CW9.

I wonder why Kahr has not reintroduced the Covert design, especially in the value series ? I think it would be well recieved and be a strong competitor to other companies.

Robar might do something like that. They do grip reductions etc on other polymer guns.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

In addition to Robar, that Bawanna mentions, there are some other folks that work on Kahrs; Cylinder & Slide and Allegheny Arms come directly to mind.
    That said, I don't think this a difficult conversion for a competent gunsmith. However, you might want to acquire a PM/CM9 magazine and some photos of what you have in mind before approaching one about doing the work.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thank you for the info. I have decided to leave my CW9 just the way it is and look for a true Covert P9. ( a good excuse to buy another Kahr.) I hope that Kahr arms would offer the Covert model in their value series line. I think the CW slide and CM frame combination would be a a very "sellable" pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by linksrds View Post
    A friend of mine has a P9 Covert (PM grip and P9 slide) which he refuses to sell to me.

is there any company that is offering to modify a CW9 grip to a CM9 size?

I am not the type of person to take a hacksaw and sandpaper to my CW9.

I wonder why Kahr has not reintroduced the Covert design, especially in the value series ? I think it would be well recieved and be a strong competitor to other companies.
    Getting ready to do this myself to my new CW40. Did this years ago to my CW9 and it turned out perfect. Wish I had held onto that pistol. Pretty simple task really, obviously the trick is to make the cut longer than needed and fine tune down while keeping the proper angle in mind. Better to cut a bit longer and smooth down than cut too short and be screwed. Waiting on the CM mag to come in and then it's cutting time. will post pics when I'm done.

After removing less than a half inch of the grip, you could use something like "white-out" on the bottom of the grip. Try to insert the short magazine and see where the white-out prints on the magazine. Shave down that part of the grip a little.

Clean and repeat until the magazine sets in the gun.

Good luck finding a Covert; they're pretty rare (I used to have one before I got my K9 and T9; as I shoot better with the extra weight and don't even notice it when carrying.).

As my late father would say though:

"Measure twice and cut once."

Maybe even measure three times and cut it long on purpose, to sand/file it to size.

Good luck!

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

I've bob tailed a few 1911's (I like em bob tailed). You talk about measuring twice, I measured and figured and prayed and measured some more before I went at it with a hack saw. I got lucky and all worked out perfect, but I still sweat buckets and would have to build up my nerve to try another one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default Why not cut down the Kahr CT-9 to use MP-9 mags?

One more point. I read that when Kahr sold the P9 Covert, they did not have a separate mold for that. All they did was take a P9 and cut down the grip after the fact before selling it -- the same as you or a gunsmith could do.

My understanding is that they stopped doing it because it was extra labor for no extra money, plus the risk of cutting too far now and then. (If you cut too far, you could likely use epoxy paste to repair it. But Kahr cannot do that and still sell it as a new gun.)

But you know, if you want to pocket-carry and want to take the trouble to carry the best, and you're willing if necessary to pay a tailor to deepen your pockets (sadly, they can't be widened) -- why not cut down the grip of a Kahr CT-9 to use the six-round MP-9 magazine?

The final product would still be well under seven inches long, so it might still fit into the pockets of some pants bought off-the-rack. You might have to make your own pocket holster (or buy a belt holster that you can detach the belt mechanism and then attach a piece to the bottom to make it rectangular shape.

Then you'd have a pocket gun with a full four-inch barrel that had the accuracy, ballistics and shootability of a full-size service pistols.

You could carry it as a back-up gun to an un-cut Kahr CT-9, and then you'd have a back-up that would really operate and shoot just like your primary!
    Last edited by fsilber; 11-09-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Ad more info