CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbreed Supertuck or Minotar MTAC or Kholster?

Default Crossbreed Supertuck or Minotar MTAC or Kholster?

I'm looking for opinions on these three IWB holsters. They are all similar, but I've only seen one: the Crossbreed Supertuck. I really like the Supertuck, but the Kholster is cheaper and the MTAC has interchangable Kydex holsters. Does anyone have experience with all three? I use the Supertuck for a K40 and I just bought a G23 that now needs a place to ride.
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.
    Luke 11:21

My suggestion is stick with the Supertuck. You know it works and will carry exactly the same way as your present one. It also would mean you have an identical rig in terms of getting it on and off, position of the holster, and hook options. I have not handled a KHolster, but that backer looks enormous. I would think that would get in the way. Crossbreed's backers are much less bulky, not to mention you can ask for different cuts to suit your tasts. I see no advantage to having an interchangeble kydex holster. You are unlikely to do that given you are buying a rig for a specific gun. The hastle of changing it down the road would make you end up buying a second holster rather than alter it for a different gun. My opinion anyway. I have a bunch of Supertucks and they carry a pistol better than any other rig I have used.

John
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

Thanks for the input John. You make some valid points that now seem obvious. I believe I will stick with the Supertuck. One more question: horsehide for cowhide? What advantage does horsehide offer? I assume there is an advantage since it costs more to get it.

Wantsum Guest

Pulled this directly from the CrossBreed website so it may answer ur question.

"Horsehide is a denser and tighter grained flesh than cowhide. This results in it being more moisture resistant. Customers in very humid climates or who tend to sweat heavily find this to be a useful option as horsehide tolerates dampness better."

I believe they have an FAQ that explains it better than me but if memory serves horse hide resists moisture (such as sweat) better.

John
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

I saw that info about the density and moisture resistance of the horsehide, I was more interested in the comfort level. Is it rougher, softer, stiffer, smoother, thinner or thicker than the cowhide?

I can tell no difference between cowhide and horsehide as far as comfort goes. Crossbreed holsters are just comfortable in my opinion,regardless of leather type.
    In the area in which I now reside,when I`m placed in a group of four or five guys,I`m known as "the smart one".God help me.

I agree, no difference there in the material. They are just plain comfortable!

John
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
    I saw that info about the density and moisture resistance of the horsehide, I was more interested in the comfort level. Is it rougher, softer, stiffer, smoother, thinner or thicker than the cowhide?
    Not a Crossbreed specific comment, but horsehide is stiffer and generally less "soft" on the roughout surface. It takes more "wearing in" where that's necessary and if badly done may never get there. Cowhide is more pliant and forgiving of imprecise molding/boning. My horsehide Del Fatti holsters (thanks again, Ken) are in the top ten of the most comfortable I've ever owned and in 50 years there's been a ton of holsters.

Well, I'll let you know what I think when my Supertuck comes in. I opted for the horsehide to get the color and the sweat resistance.