Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W dead - yes or no

I've owned one 1911 in my life. Had to see what all the fuss was about. Never found out. Traded it a while after purchase. Didn't like the feel, nor the safety, nor the grip safety. The trigger wasn't all that either. Each to their own. It just wasn't practical for me either. They are nice looking though, and you sure can purdy them up.

Yall pick on the 40 all you want, got little use for it, but ease up on my beloved 1911's. I have 8 or 9 and little use for anything else cept Kahrs of course.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

P2SK? Is that HK speak for the P2000SK?
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    True Old Dogs grew up on them 1911's, and DA revolvers. Methinks you must be a Middle Aged Dog.
    Yep, except in my case it was 1911's and Browning HP's. Another reason I prefer manual safeties and switched my favorite from SIG to HK - HK's have manual safeties, most SIG's do not. Also probably why I own and like my five 1911's.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    P2SK? Is that HK speak for the P2000SK?
    Yes sir...………………...

I am not sure why the 1911 model was not prevalent when/where I was growing up. My father was a gunsmith, so I guess if they would have been "the thing" at the time, I would have seen some growing up. My father and all of the friends and relatives had been in the service. No 1911's. When I became of age and started purchasing my first firearms, I don't recall seeing many if at all 1911's for sale. I really never got a good intro to them until I was in my 30's. Never saw too many being shot at the range. I don't know if it was a time thing, or a geological thing. Was there a period in the last 50 years where their popularity took off???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Yall pick on the 40 all you want, got little use for it, but ease up on my beloved 1911's. I have 8 or 9 and little use for anything else cept Kahrs of course.
    Touchy are we? Well you gots my x2 on the subject. One thing I've never learned to forget is swiping the safety.
    NRA Benefactor

The 1911 is all natural, I know this is a touchy subject for you with your pension for too big boobs and all.
    But the safety is exactly where it should be. I use it as a thumb rest, when it's time to shoot, I just put a little pressure on it and off it goes.
    I set mine up so they are positive click on, click off so they aren't easily pushed off or on.

It's the perfect design. I looked at a Ruger 9mm commander over where I got the buntline. It was nice, and I'm still pondering getting one in some flavor. Maybe a Rock or one of those.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

You can't go wrong with a rock, they go off every time. Thing is, all guns can be used as rocks to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The 1911 is all natural, I know this is a touchy subject for you with your pension for too big boobs and all.
    But the safety is exactly where it should be. I use it as a thumb rest, when it's time to shoot, I just put a little pressure on it and off it goes.
    I set mine up so they are positive click on, click off so they aren't easily pushed off or on.

It's the perfect design. I looked at a Ruger 9mm commander over where I got the buntline. It was nice, and I'm still pondering getting one in some flavor. Maybe a Rock or one of those.
    It's all about training, reflexes, experience and muscle memory, sire. If there's one thing I learned during my law enforcement career, it's that bad things can happen unexpectedly, and very, very quickly. After 30+ years of intense training with Glocks, I simply would not trust myself to be able to react to a sudden threat quickly with a 1911. I know, as surely as I'm sitting here, that I would attempt to pull the trigger, then suddenly remember that I had to disengage the safety. All that could conceivably consume enough time for the bad guy to get the drop on me...no thanks.

From what I know, the 1911 is a wonderful platform; however, for some of us it's just not viable for self-defense. This is especially true for those of us who are current or former law enforcement, with little or no 1911 experience, who are perhaps a little more concerned with quick reaction to a threat than the average person.