CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W dead - yes or no

No matter the size of the firearm...you train, you practice, you get good enough to hit where you aim...you will kill your attacker.

That’s the bottom line. There are no magic bullets in any caliber.

Stopping Power: Myths, Legends, and Realities

http://www.policemag.com/channel/wea...realities.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    No matter the size of the firearm...you train, you practice, you get good enough to hit where you aim...you will kill your attacker.

Quote Originally Posted by gale155 View Post
    I think the FN Five-Seven with SS198 ammo would be at the top of my list. Running a close second (or perhaps first if I actually had to climb on to that plane or ship) would be a Glock G40 MOS (10mm).
    Damn you, gale!! Are you personally trying to bankrupt me?!?! I had known nothing about this pistol or this ammo, and already I have this feeling coming on...this could be my new obsession (and we know where that goes).

Time for more research, but I think I have a new Holy Grail. GRRRRR........

Without getting too much into "war stories", I've seen people who were killed by a single shot from a .22. At the other end of the spectrum, I saw a high school kid who shot himself in the temple with a Ruger Redhawk (loaded with .44 spl) who lived. It severed both optical nerves among other rather unpleasant things, but he lived.

There has been a suggestion here that people who don't train much and /or aren't very good shots should carry large, powerful handguns because they're more likely to incapacitate regardless of shot placement. That may sound good on the surface, but we have to remember that shots fired by such people are undeniably going to land somewhere...they might hit the bad guy, and they might not . If I'm an innocent bystander struck by a stray bullet fired by such a person (or anyone else), I would prefer it to be a .25, as opposed to a .44 magnum. In my humble opinion, anyone who carries more gun than they can competently shoot is asking for a whole bunch of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Damn you, gale!! Are you personally trying to bankrupt me?!?! I had known nothing about this pistol or this ammo, and already I have this feeling coming on...this could be my new obsession (and we know where that goes).

Time for more research, but I think I have a new Holy Grail. GRRRRR........
    Busted! Now that I'm retired with nothing else to think about, my singular goal in life is to bankrupt you. Just kidding of course, sir, as I know you are.

Assuming you're talking about the Five Seven, it's been on my wish list for quite some time; however, like so many other firearms I just haven't been able to convince myself to write the check...as you'll find in your research, they ain't cheap. And what would I do with it if I had one? Carry? Well, maybe in the hood, but I've got that covered pretty well with my G22. Home defense? Well maybe, since the outside of my house is concrete and brick; however, if the bad guy was standing in front of a window when I shot him, the bullet might penetrate him and both sides of my neighbor's house.

Here's a review of the Five Seven by someone we all know and like, and he wasn't ready to buy one at the time. Like Hickok, if the pistol and ammo weren't quite so expensive, I'd already have one...I guess for no other reason than to have one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24qwPoCqUo

Quote Originally Posted by gale155 View Post
    Busted! Now that I'm retired with nothing else to think about, my singular goal in life is to bankrupt you. Just kidding of course, sir, as I know you are.

Assuming you're talking about the Five Seven, it's been on my wish list for quite some time; however, like so many other firearms I just haven't been able to convince myself to write the check...as you'll find in your research, they ain't cheap. And what would I do with it if I had one? Carry? Well, maybe in the hood, but I've got that covered pretty well with my G22. Home defense? Well maybe, since the outside of my house is concrete and brick; however, if the bad guy was standing in front of a window when I shot him, the bullet might penetrate him and both sides of my neighbor's house.

Here's a review of the Five Seven by someone we all know and like, and he wasn't ready to buy one at the time. Like Hickok, if the pistol and ammo weren't quite so expensive, I'd already have one...I guess for no other reason than to have one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24qwPoCqUo
    The sane part of my brain is making the same argument.

With the hardware I have now, I'm already well-equipped for the zombie apocalypse anyway. And I've got just about every carry condition covered, too. Which really just leaves collecting and shooting...and if that ammo is expensive, the latter probably isn't an option anyway.

The crazy gun zealot part of my brain keeps telling me how much fun it would be to own that toy!

There's a couple floating around the department. They are pretty sweet. They even talked about going to them for duty guns until reality struck. The cost of the guns and more so the ammo.

They are especially good with the one certain ammunition that originally was supposed to be available only to LE but of course that didn't last long.
    It's expensive and at the time, this was a few years ago, it was hard to get.

They are very light, very accurate and hold 20 rounds. Not an ideal cop gun I don't think, a little too delicate and complicated for that purpose.

I'd still like to have one but like yall, not bad enough to write the check.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    The sane part of my brain is making the same argument.

With the hardware I have now, I'm already well-equipped for the zombie apocalypse anyway. And I've got just about every carry condition covered, too. Which really just leaves collecting and shooting...and if that ammo is expensive, the latter probably isn't an option anyway.

The crazy gun zealot part of my brain keeps telling me how much fun it would be to own that toy!
    Believe me when I tell you that I know the feeling. A few years ago I bought a LNIB Sig P-232 two- tone, put a few mags though it, cleaned it up, then thought "what now?" Some 9's were smaller for carry, and I thought it was just too purdy to risk putting a scratch on it. So, it remained in its case, and I took it out once in a while just to look at it. Since I'm not a collector, I eventually sold it for a small profit.

There are three guns that I know I will buy some day, without question. The first is a Sig P365, but only when it's offered in two-tone. The second is either a Kahr MK-9 or K-9, and the third is a Five-Seven. It's not a matter of "if", but "when"...need, logic and finances be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    There's a couple floating around the department. They are pretty sweet. They even talked about going to them for duty guns until reality struck. The cost of the guns and more so the ammo.

They are especially good with the one certain ammunition that originally was supposed to be available only to LE but of course that didn't last long.
    It's expensive and at the time, this was a few years ago, it was hard to get.

They are very light, very accurate and hold 20 rounds. Not an ideal cop gun I don't think, a little too delicate and complicated for that purpose.

I'd still like to have one but like yall, not bad enough to write the check.
    Since it's an FN, I don't know about the delicate part. However, for a variety of reasons I agree it's probably not the ideal cop gun.

Angry Sometimes I get Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    Are you Ex Military, Special Forces, or Law Enforcement? Don't you think that's a little harsh towards a gentlemen who was. As I respect all Military, Law Enforcement and any first responders, It is still your own choice on what you choose to carry. I don't care what Seal Team 6, Delta, etc. etc. choose to carry. The few that I've talked to told me the same, carry whats best for you. Period. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.
    Little harsh I agree.
    And my point has always been carry what's best for you...
    Two in the chest and one in the head has been a Soldier of Fortune thingy for years.
    But double taps reduce capacity by half.
    And with military ammo that must be FMJ.
    I just don't get why wanting a bigger hole is a bad thing?
    If you just don't shoot large caliber guns well?
    Then I get it.
    No, I've never been in LE or Military.
    But I've trained with Elite SWAT type LE and Special Forces for years (10).
    Many issued 9mm, none liked it.
    Small sample, but that's just the way it is...

Totally respect all that have served our country and protected freedom.
    No disrespect ever intended.
    I'll try to tone down my response

Barth