Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W dead - yes or no

I've talked to many LE in my local sheriff's dept. Seems the flavor of the day are Sig's in .40 and .45. Two years ago, the dept. purchased 630 new Glock 9mm's for the dept. mainly because they were $230 a piece. Most then went out and purchased their own. I was told that they don't have too much trust in either the platform or the round. Some still carry the older S&W's in .45. I tend to side with the people who use their firearms to protect themselves and others, and their choices, and what they have experienced with the 9mm round. Seems the only ones who keep their issued firearm are those that work at the jail, or only shoot to qualify, or are too cheap to purchase their own firearm. Continue to carry your 9mm's and smaller, but don't try to convince me that this is as good a philosophy as something of a larger caliber. The only reason that I own a 9mm is because it fits in my front pocket, but I still don't have as much confidence in it, compared to a larger caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    Are you Ex Military, Special Forces, or Law Enforcement?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I've talked to many LE in my local sheriff's dept. Seems the flavor of the day are Sig's in .40 and .45. Two years ago, the dept. purchased 630 new Glock 9mm's for the dept. mainly because they were $230 a piece. Most then went out and purchased their own. I was told that they don't have too much trust in either the platform or the round.
    I'll give you a contrary example from the last department I served in. The ICE office I ran consisted of about 20 officers, almost all of whom were involved in fugitive apprehensions and street arrests. We were issued the Sig 229 in .40, but had some flexibility to purchase/carry other approved pistols if we desired. Even though the .40s were free, more than half of my guys opted to purchase and carry a 9mm alternative.

Again, these were guys who worked the streets in the worst neighborhoods against the worst criminals every day.

Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    Are you Ex Military, Special Forces, or Law Enforcement?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I've talked to many LE in my local sheriff's dept. Seems the flavor of the day are Sig's in .40 and .45. Two years ago, the dept. purchased 630 new Glock 9mm's for the dept. mainly because they were $230 a piece. Most then went out and purchased their own. I was told that they don't have too much trust in either the platform or the round. Some still carry the older S&W's in .45. I tend to side with the people who use their firearms to protect themselves and others, and their choices, and what they have experienced with the 9mm round. Seems the only ones who keep their issued firearm are those that work at the jail, or only shoot to qualify, or are too cheap to purchase their own firearm. Continue to carry your 9mm's and smaller, but don't try to convince me that this is as good a philosophy as something of a larger caliber. The only reason that I own a 9mm is because it fits in my front pocket, but I still don't have as much confidence in it, compared to a larger caliber.
    It's a good thing that they were free to carry whatever they felt the most comfortable with. The police department I retired from allowed that for a while, within certain parameters, but in the early 80's started requiring officers to carry their issued Glock G22's. The medical IT company I retired from following my police career required us to carry our issued G-22's as well...anyone caught carrying something else would have been fired on the spot.

This thread has caused me to think about something. If a had to go into a war zone as a combatant, what sidearm would I choose to have with me? Without having given it much serious study or thought, I think the FN Five-Seven with SS198 ammo would be at the top of my list. Running a close second (or perhaps first if I actually had to climb on to that plane or ship) would be a Glock G40 MOS (10mm).

I wanted to read this because I have seen a MK40 for sale at a very good price, but was not sure I wanted to go the 40 cal route, and it was sold as a blemish. Most info says blemish can mean a variety of things and mostly they are very minor in nature. Any one bought one?

SOF Prefers 9mm over .45 Caliber

https://www.military.com/kitup/2014/...5-caliber.html

Top Choice of Elite Military Units: SpecOps Glocks

https://www.swatmag.com/article/top-...pecops-glocks/

While this is about Glocks, it seems the vast magority of them are 9mm. I would have to believe these units have shot more people than many Police Agency's.

I tend to side with the people who use their firearms to protect themselves and others, and their choices, and what they have experienced with the 9mm round.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    I wanted to read this because I have seen a MK40 for sale at a very good price, but was not sure I wanted to go the 40 cal route, and it was sold as a blemish. Most info says blemish can mean a variety of things and mostly they are very minor in nature. Any one bought one?
    I've never owned or fired one, but I think if you want a micro 40 the MK40 would be a good choice. The weight alone would help to mitigate the recoil substantially, I imagine.

Sorry, but Glock's should not be on the hips of most civilians.........................and once again, they never tell you that cost is always a factor when these agencies adopt a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    I'll give you a contrary example from the last department I served in. The ICE office I ran consisted of about 20 officers, almost all of whom were involved in fugitive apprehensions and street arrests. We were issued the Sig 229 in .40, but had some flexibility to purchase/carry other approved pistols if we desired. Even though the .40s were free, more than half of my guys opted to purchase and carry a 9mm alternative.

Again, these were guys who worked the streets in the worst neighborhoods against the worst criminals every day.
    Maybe none of them can shoot .40