Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W dead - yes or no

And if your in a barrel shoot like a theatre or someplace where guns ain't allowed or more realistically an outdoor venue where they check you, how many could you get with your Sharps single shot before somebody allowed to have a gun could put a stop to you or at least keep your head down.

Ridiculous.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    And if your in a barrel shoot like a theatre or someplace where guns ain't allowed or more realistically an outdoor venue where they check you, how many could you get with your Sharps single shot before somebody allowed to have a gun could put a stop to you or at least keep your head down.

Ridiculous.
    Yep...ridiculous indeed.

One positive of the death pronouncement of the 40S&W is the availability of some really nice used guns for not much cash. Even new ones: I just bought a PM40 with night sights for $350.

Much of the move back to 9mm is based on the ammo cost for the smaller brass case with less powder and a lighter bullet. This is an issue for agencies buying thousands of rounds, but it really isn’t an issue if you are a reloader and only buy factory SD ammo. The other part of the equation is faster recovery between shots for relatively inexperienced shooters who only go the range when they have to.

I resisted buying a 40 for two decades, and only started moving toward it as the rest of the world is moving away. I can handle the recoil fine. The first shot time is the same regardless of caliber, and it’s the first shot that matters most. The smaller the caliber, the more you are relying on the bullet technology to perform perfectly. Don’t forget that the same technology advances that have been applied to the 9mm have been applied to the bigger bullets as well.

As long as they are still selling ammo for it at Walmart it’s a long way from dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    One positive of the death pronouncement of the 40S&W is the availability of some really nice used guns for not much cash. Even new ones: I just bought a PM40 with night sights for $350.

Much of the move back to 9mm is based on the ammo cost for the smaller brass case with less powder and a lighter bullet. This is an issue for agencies buying thousands of rounds, but it really isn’t an issue if you are a reloader and only buy factory SD ammo. The other part of the equation is faster recovery between shots for relatively inexperienced shooters who only go the range when they have to.

I resisted buying a 40 for two decades, and only started moving toward it as the rest of the world is moving away. I can handle the recoil fine. The first shot time is the same regardless of caliber, and it’s the first shot that matters most. The smaller the caliber, the more you are relying on the bullet technology to perform perfectly. Don’t forget that the same technology advances that have been applied to the 9mm have been applied to the bigger bullets as well.

As long as they are still selling ammo for it at Walmart it’s a long way from dead.
    .40 cal ammo will be available for longer than most of us will be around, IMO.

Ridiculous.
    Think a lot of folks carry in theaters and malls these days after all the crap that's already happened.
    I've seen open carry in malls with no firearms signs posted.
    AZ seems to be very firearm friendly
    Not so friendly to terrorists or psychos...

Here and there, a bit of everywhere and nowhere

Ridiculous.
    A regimented marksmen, employing a Sharps will fire 5 shots in less than 30 seconds, and hit his target each time if they're at close to medium ordinates. The everyman will spray his fire much as a tomcat sprays his territory. Little consolation, if one happens to be that territory however.

Last Friday I went to a retirement ceremony at the department I retired from. While there, I learned that they recently went from .40 caliber (Glock G22) to 9mm (S&W M&P). Money is no object to this department, nor would they ever skimp on officer safety in order to save a few bucks. From what I was told, the primary factor was the recoil of the 9mm is more manageable for many officers. Why did they dump Glock for Smith? Well, the chief enjoys doing things a little differently than everyone else would be my educated guess, although low bid probably came into play.

Our county deputies switched to the M&P 45's and they love them. When we went from Beretta's to Glocks we'd considered the Springfield XD, the M&P and the Glock. I wanted the M&P, firearms instructor wanted the XD, we went with the Glock because we couldn't get duty holsters for the others at that time.
    Even now it's easier to get holsters for Glock 9 and 40 than it is 45.
    The county guys can carry what they want as long as it's approved. Many carry 1911's since they made the switch.

For awhile they couldn't, the hammer back was too intimidating to the sheep. Guess now they don't care.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Our county deputies switched to the M&P 45's and they love them. When we went from Beretta's to Glocks we'd considered the Springfield XD, the M&P and the Glock. I wanted the M&P, firearms instructor wanted the XD, we went with the Glock because we couldn't get duty holsters for the others at that time.
    Even now it's easier to get holsters for Glock 9 and 40 than it is 45.
    The county guys can carry what they want as long as it's approved. Many carry 1911's since they made the switch.

For awhile they couldn't, the hammer back was too intimidating to the sheep. Guess now they don't care.
    Speaking of which heard from jocko lately?
    NRA Benefactor

Not for awhile, I best sling some ca ca in his direction.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan