Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 380 striker

Default 380 striker

I wanted to hear your opinions about the need for a replacement striker on your Kahr 380. I have a CW380 with about 400 rounds through it. It is my everyday deep concealment gun. I’ve not had any trouble from the striker at all but it’s one of those things in the back of my mind that I think about. Is it really a common problem or are we talking about a tiny percentage of failures that we stress over when it’s not a big deal. The aftermarket striker is pretty cheap so it’s not a big deal to go ahead and change but I figured why do it if it’s not really a problem. Any thoughts?

I went and changed mine in both a CW & CT380. I did not have any problems with either, but there have been quite of few people who have. I was possible trying to eliminate a weak link. Who knows, they might have went on forever with out any problems.

I've been thinking about the same thing with my new-to-me CW380, which has a little over 200 flawless rounds through it. When I ask myself why I should fix something that ain't broke, I generally follow that up with "why not?". I haven't done it yet, but given the low cost and peace of mind it would provide, I think the latter will finally win out.

I believe I installed a Lakeline striker before I ever shot my CW380. If you have a Kahr 380 that seems reliable (like mine), I still consider this an essential upgrade for a carry gun, just based on the large number of striker failures I saw reported, and the way they can fail without warning, even at low round counts, and even without a lot of dry-firing.

I also installed a steel recoil spring guide and a stainless recoil spring rod, but I don't consider those essential.

I Went ahead and ordered the Lakeline striker for my CW. It is priced fairly and the shipping was $2.99. Nothing pisses me off more that trying to order something and paying half the price of the item to ship it. I figure its cheap insurance should I ever need to use the gun. I do like to shoot this for fun at the range so it will get lots of rounds through it.

A broken striker is not a big deal in a range pistol, but it is a very big deal if it happens with a concealed carry pistol in a SHTF situation.

The first striker in my P380 broke at 250-300 rounds. The second striker (installed by Kahr) broke at 150-200 rounds. The third striker is a Lakeline and has about 300 rounds so far.

As the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." There will not be a third time for me with a Kahr striker in a concealed carry Kahr 380.

Do the CW380 and CT380 use the same striker?
    I have a CT380 and am thinking about upgrading to the Lakeline striker (and the metal magazine followers too).
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Yes they do. Lakeline doesn’t make metal magazine followers for the 380, you’ll have to go with the Magguts +1’s. They make them for the 6 & 7 rounders. I use them for my CW & CT 380’s. I do use the Lakeline metal followers in my CM9 tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Do the CW380 and CT380 use the same striker?
    I have a CT380 and am thinking about upgrading to the Lakeline striker (and the metal magazine followers too).

Quote Originally Posted by mpgo4th View Post
    I wanted to hear your opinions about the need for a replacement striker on your Kahr 380. I have a CW380 with about 400 rounds through it. It is my everyday deep concealment gun. I’ve not had any trouble from the striker at all but it’s one of those things in the back of my mind that I think about. Is it really a common problem or are we talking about a tiny percentage of failures that we stress over when it’s not a big deal. The aftermarket striker is pretty cheap so it’s not a big deal to go ahead and change but I figured why do it if it’s not really a problem. Any thoughts?
    I had no issues but holding the lake line striker with the stock one, you can feel the difference. One feels like the ECO line of Chinese craftsman wrenches, and the other feels like a nice impact socket. Holding it in my hand validated my upgrade for me.

My oem striker wasn't broken until it broke. How do you know when it will happen, you don't. If you are going to carry a Kahr 380 without a Lakeline striker, switch to a soup can. JMO Love my CW380 and trust I completely.