Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K9 Carbon Steel, relatively early... Refinish or no?

It's fine the way it is----but IF you want to refinish it, NP3 is the way to go. It's durable, self-lubricating, and looks excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I read that 3 times, I think you might be good in politics. Everybody is happy and you can't do wrong whatever you do, if you decide to do or not.

Me heads a spinnin.
    Bawanna, I FINALLY have the time to provide a much-needed response. While I think I would be the worst politician ever, since my opinions don’t normally walk down the center of the road, my opinion sure did walk down the center with regard to THIS gun. While I agree with lantern that NP3 would look sexy on the gun, a quick visit to the Robar price list set me straight.

I’m not a fan of having to worry about rust. So, on the surface, I am not the target-customer for a carbon steel K9. And, that would seem to make me the perfect customer for NP3. $400? When a T9 can be bought for $663 at grabagun.com, and a PM40 can be purchased for $276 on the same website? Nope. No NP3 for me. If I had $400 for a coating, I’d buy a new gun.

Would I want a carbon steel K9, and keep it that way? You’d better believe it. I’d carry it, and shoot it with pride, and clean and oil it way more than I do my stainless guns. I would also take pride in any holster/carry wear the gun experienced.

Rubber grips? If I were going to carry it, the rubber grips could/would get me killed when/if my cover garment hangs on/sticks to the rubber grip when I attempt to unholster the gun.

For the reasons listed above, I would forego the NP3, sell the rubber grips, purchase a set of G10 grips from Lakeline, and an IWB Holster from Crossbreed Holsters or Wright Leather Works or Garrett Holsters, and giggle like a school-girl every morning I had the opportunity to carry that gun.

-Wlf

Well thanks immensely for that Wlfman. My head hasn't spun so long like that since the time in my youth when I lost the lid on a bottle of Annie Greensprings. Bad stuff that. I think it was supposed to be wine but might have been toilet bowl cleaner. Haven't touched the grapes since.

Your post makes perfect sense now, I misjudged you this time. You'd be a lousy politician, too much common sense.

I too would have no issue with a carbon gun. Honest wear is a cool thing.

I do love the feel of the rubber grips, I'd probably figure something out for that although the Lakelines are really nice.
    But then I'm a wood and stag guy. We need to invent G10 that looks like stag. Have to hire people to count our money for sure.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Perhaps they would perform differently in another clime or place, but the rubber grips on my K9 are not clingy. I believe checkered wood grips would likely cause presentation problems before they would. It's a moot point for me anyway as the Lakeline grips have a boss/projection at the top screw and my K9 has no corresponding pocket in it's frame (I'm not sure if grinding that boss off would leave enough material to secure the grip to the frame). There were some wood grips that would fit mine, but you rarely see them for sale and I don't like their thickness. On a positive note, I did find a like new set of the rubber grips recently and they are in parts stash as I type this .
    Nylon on the MK9, rubber on the K9

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Kahr can refinish in black oxide. Cost is $120 plus shipping both ways. Personally i like it the way it looks