Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of the stock 2 dot sight on Kahrs??

[QUOTE=gale155;400855]
    Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post

Defense of others is a sticky subject, and one I hate to even offer an opinion on. For civilians, laws on this vary from state to state, and all of us would be well-advised to be familiar with the laws that apply in our particular state.

Having said that, I'll tell you my own personal views on "defense of others" here in the 2nd Amendment friendly state of Missouri. First and foremost, I remind myself, and do so fairly frequently, that I'm no longer a police officer. That may seem silly, but I think it's helpful...at least for me. Secondly, if I ever decide to come to the aid of another person with my firearm, it's going to have to be something dire, totally obvious and in very close proximity to where I happen to be at the time.
    That's not silly, not at all. Decoupling from a LEO mindset, especially if LE has been a career, is a major adjustment.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Until you look the elephant in the eye, no one knows how they will do. Might fumble out of the holster, might forget where the trigger is, might freeze up like a rusty nut.

Take any training exercise and inject a half gallon of adrenaline and a pint of fear and it's a whole new ball game.

They say your training will take over and carry the day. Maybe so.
    Whole lot of truth in them there words.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Until you look the elephant in the eye, no one knows how they will do. Might fumble out of the holster, might forget where the trigger is, might freeze up like a rusty nut.

Take any training exercise and inject a half gallon of adrenaline and a pint of fear and it's a whole new ball game.

They say your training will take over and carry the day. Maybe so.

I love this post. It's also the reason TRAINING with sights(with the way I shoot) is important IMO. Train train train until the muscle memory feels like pointing and shooting. Well....at least that's my goal. Putting it down to dumb luck with no training and pointing just because I feel sights don't matter in a close quarters situation is something I feel is too much risk. Now, maybe some folks like to train point shooting or hip fire. That's a horse of a different color.

It all depends on how one wants to train their mind and body for when situations arise that usually take calm thought out of the equation and insert frantic motor skills.

Speaking of point shooting, I don't know if anyone has seen this guy or not, but he can do some pretty amazing shooting with out sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjil10f6LeI

http://www.tacticalshooting.com/

First, thanks for posting this! Also, the banter in the comments was entertaining as well. The guy is a heck of a shot.

I thought for a second you were going to link to a Bob Munden video with his amazing hip shooting. I was mesmorized by him when I was a kid all the way till he passed away.

Bob Munden

https://youtu.be/wpvCZwoj3tE

Bob Munden was excellent, there is no doubt. I always wanted to see him and a few others in person.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    First, thanks for posting this! Also, the banter in the comments was entertaining as well. The guy is a heck of a shot.

I thought for a second you were going to link to a Bob Munden video with his amazing hip shooting. I was mesmorized by him when I was a kid all the way till he passed away.

Bob Munden

https://youtu.be/wpvCZwoj3tE

Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    I love this post. It's also the reason TRAINING with sights(with the way I shoot) is important IMO. Train train train until the muscle memory feels like pointing and shooting. Well....at least that's my goal. Putting it down to dumb luck with no training and pointing just because I feel sights don't matter in a close quarters situation is something I feel is too much risk. Now, maybe some folks like to train point shooting or hip fire. That's a horse of a different color.

It all depends on how one wants to train their mind and body for when situations arise that usually take calm thought out of the equation and insert frantic motor skills.
    My training always focused a quite a bit on shooting from the hip, in that in a real situation you might not have the time or space to bring the pistol up to eye level. Another technique taught in recent years was the flash sight picture, where you focus on the front sight only. The only problem I had with that is that in a real self-defense situation, I think it would be difficult to focus intensely on anything other than the threat...at least it would be for me.

Speaking of focusing on the threat, I learned during FATS training that I was doing just that...perhaps to a fault. FATS is an excellent training tool, btw, and about as close to the real thing as you can get (except the recoil). Anyway, I would invariably put a shot directly on the gun or knife the bad guy was holding. This didn't happen in every scenario, but did happen at least once during every session. I finally got the point where I would tease the instructors that since my first hit(s) didn't stop the bad guy, I was trying to shoot the weapon out of his hand. I'm not nearly a good enough shot to do that even if I tried, and finally concluded that my primary focus was subconsciously shifting from the person to the actual weapon he was holding.

I teach a basic handgun course and the last night we supply a half dozen guns in various models and calibers for each student to shoot. Of all the guns provided, those with a bar dot tend to produce the best results for new shooters and the standout gun appears to be my W. German P226 with bar/dot sights. For some reason that gun works well for nearly everyone who picks it up.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Here's another interesting gentleman, Paul Castle and his "Center Axis Relock".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqI-ELm34EE

Holy crap. I could watch that guy all day.