CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of the stock 2 dot sight on Kahrs??

[QUOTE=gale155;400824]
    Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post

Let me elaborate and clarify. If you are forced to shoot someone in self-defense, and they are so far away that you have to use sights, you may subsequently have a legal problem. In a real self-defense situation, you're not going to have time to gain a sight picture...it's going to be point and shoot IMO. In fact, sights are going to be the last thing on your mind, and you probably won't even notice them. Now for soldiers, and police officers in some situations, it's a different ballgame.
    Disagree.... Don't know to put this more friendly like but, this is spray and pray philosophy.
    NRA Benefactor

[QUOTE=ltxi;400827]
    Quote Originally Posted by gale155 View Post

Disagree.... Don't know to put this more friendly like but, this is spray and pray philosophy.
    Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. And I didn't say anything about "spray and pray"...I said point and shoot.

[QUOTE=gale155;400828]

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. And I didn't say anything about "spray and pray"...I said point and shoot.
    I think your point is well-taken, Gale.

I just did a quick Google search, and it's pretty hard to even find a SD shooting beyond 10 yards. The 3/3/3 Rule isn't exact, but it does cover most SD shootings. There are other studies out there that show how exceedingly rare it is to find anything beyond 21', which is backed by FBI statistics. Police and military routinely qualify handguns at 25 yards, because they are expected to engage at those distances if need be. But civilians are expected to safely extract themselves under exactly the same conditions.

Sure, there may be exceptions, particularly in Stand Your Ground states, where a property owner may be authorized to shoot at those distances. Or maybe the 1-in-a-million scenario in a parking garage, for example, when someone is brandishing a weapon and tailing you.

But in almost every conceivable case, you will have to use your firearm up-close-and-personal, or you will have to explain to a jury why you didn't extricate yourself from a danger when you likely had a clear path of egress.

[QUOTE=gale155;400828]

Which is, to my mind, the same as spray and pray. If you meant point shoot, which is a whole 'nother animal with an implied level of competence, then I'm good with that. I have a couple of guns, Glocks, in active service I don't point shoot well enough to dispense with some reliance on sights in a stress situation. All others I carry for defense sights are just okay to haves for close quarters work.
    NRA Benefactor

[QUOTE=boscobarbell;400829]

I think your point is well-taken, Gale.

I just did a quick Google search, and it's pretty hard to even find a SD shooting beyond 10 yards. The 3/3/3 Rule isn't exact, but it does cover most SD shootings. There are other studies out there that show how exceedingly rare it is to find anything beyond 21', which is backed by FBI statistics. Police and military routinely qualify handguns at 25 yards, because they are expected to engage at those distances if need be. But civilians are expected to safely extract themselves under exactly the same conditions.

Sure, there may be exceptions, particularly in Stand Your Ground states, where a property owner may be authorized to shoot at those distances. Or maybe the 1-in-a-million scenario in a parking garage, for example, when someone is brandishing a weapon and tailing you.

But in almost every conceivable case, you will have to use your firearm up-close-and-personal, or you will have to explain to a jury why you didn't extricate yourself from a danger when you likely had a clear path of egress.

Generally, I agree. Where this path of thought most often fails is "in defense of others".....something I've always been/felt bound to as necessary do and so prepare for.
    NRA Benefactor

[QUOTE=ltxi;400845]

Which is, to my mind, the same as spray and pray. If you meant point shoot, which is a whole 'nother animal with an implied level of competence, then I'm good with that. I have a couple of guns, Glocks, in active service I don't point shoot well enough to dispense with some reliance on sights in a stress situation. All others I carry for defense sights are just okay to haves for close quarters work.
    Yes, I meant point shooting...sorry about the "and". I'm not the best shot in the world, but have had a considerable amount of training in point shooting over the years, including shooting from the hip. It's not difficult, but as you allude to it does take practice.
    Last edited by gale155; 08-20-2018 at 12:39 PM.

[QUOTE=ltxi;400846]
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post

Generally, I agree. Where this path of thought most often fails is "in defense of others".....something I've always been/felt bound to as necessary do and so prepare for.
    Defense of others is a sticky subject, and one I hate to even offer an opinion on. For civilians, laws on this vary from state to state, and all of us would be well-advised to be familiar with the laws that apply in our particular state.

Having said that, I'll tell you my own personal views on "defense of others" here in the 2nd Amendment friendly state of Missouri. First and foremost, I remind myself, and do so fairly frequently, that I'm no longer a police officer. That may seem silly, but I think it's helpful...at least for me. Secondly, if I ever decide to come to the aid of another person with my firearm, it's going to have to be something dire, totally obvious and in very close proximity to where I happen to be at the time.

I like the Kahr sights which is also why I like the XS Big Dots. For me, quicker acquisition to line up sights. I don't have to worry about getting a dot between 2 dots and making sure that everything lines up in the proper position. Doting the eye is much faster.

I also agree that you will most likely not have time to line up your sights in a defensive shooting. The cowboys can disagree. I wouldn't bother asking the bad person to wait a second while you get everything lined up.

Until you look the elephant in the eye, no one knows how they will do. Might fumble out of the holster, might forget where the trigger is, might freeze up like a rusty nut.

Take any training exercise and inject a half gallon of adrenaline and a pint of fear and it's a whole new ball game.

They say your training will take over and carry the day. Maybe so.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."