CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of the stock 2 dot sight on Kahrs??

Default What's your opinion of the stock 2 dot sight on Kahrs??

I have ALWAYS preferred 2 dot sights and when I stumbled onto Kahr I thought that someone had been listening to my thoughts with the small gun with 1911 pointability, low weight, low recoil, two dot sights and smooth DA for CCW.

I know three dot sights are more popular, but a single front dot with blacked out rear or two dot system works so much faster for me and takes steps out of the equation. Meaning, dot the i and bang vs line up the humps and divide the distance between them.

What say ye? There are no wrong answers. I just wondered if anyone else is as big of a fan of the 2 dot system as I or if some simply hate it.

If I had to complain I wish they would sell a 2 dot fiber optic or night sight.......or a combo(although I'm not a fan of the real estate the TFX takes up on short guns).

Sights really don't matter to me on a self-defense gun, which most of mine are. As the late Larry Seecamp once said (and I'm paraphrasing), "If you need to use sights in a self-defense shooting situation, you'd better have a good defense attorney on retainer".

I've never much liked a two dot system. Three dot, front only, white outline rear with or without front, or nothing all work well better for me.
    NRA Benefactor

[QUOTE=gale155;400790]Sights really don't matter to me on a self-defense gun, which most of mine are. As the late Larry Seecamp once said (and I'm paraphrasing), "If you need to use sights in a self-defense shooting situation, you'd better have a good defense attorney on retainer".[/QUOTE]

Whut?
    NRA Benefactor

Bought my Kahr MK40 Elite with factory three dot NS.
    I like them on that gun.
    For me it's somewhat platform dependent.
    Meaning I can favor different sights on different guns (can't explain why?)
    Most of my guns run XS Big Dots.
    Very fast flash sight picture for close quarters combat.

But I've got TFX Pro, Adjustable Meprolight, Heinie Straight Eights and Novak red fiber optics on various guns.
    Go Figure - LOL

Think a Kahr E9 was my first experience with the bar/dot system, then Sigs. Found they worked well with my aging eyes. Especially like the Ameriglo I-Dot, with the luminous green around the front tritium, for my Shield.
    SW-345_New.jpg

LOL! I knew my fellow i dot and straight 8 shooters would reply. I have XS big dots on my HK45c. Had to put a tiny bit of brighter paint at the back. For some reason I just wasn't picking the factory line up and since they don't have a pronounced notch I was a bit erratic. All is well now.

I have bar/dot sights on several guns, Kahrs, Sigs, Walther and Beretta. I've never really taken to them as they take longer for me to align and keep aligned. I much prefer three dot sights. For years I've thought that the easiest improvement Kahr could make in their line would be a nice set of upgraded three dot sights.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

[QUOTE=ltxi;400794]
    Quote Originally Posted by gale155 View Post
    Sights really don't matter to me on a self-defense gun, which most of mine are. As the late Larry Seecamp once said (and I'm paraphrasing), "If you need to use sights in a self-defense shooting situation, you'd better have a good defense attorney on retainer".[/QUOTE]

Whut?
    Let me elaborate and clarify. If you are forced to shoot someone in self-defense, and they are so far away that you have to use sights, you may subsequently have a legal problem. In a real self-defense situation, you're not going to have time to gain a sight picture...it's going to be point and shoot IMO. In fact, sights are going to be the last thing on your mind, and you probably won't even notice them. Now for soldiers, and police officers in some situations, it's a different ballgame.

I've been gradually teaching myself (contrary to decades of prior training at Uncle Sam's expense) to shoot with both eyes open. I've found the Big Dot system to work extremely well in allowing me to point-shoot with just the teeniest "cheat" of picking up that big front dot. Up to 7 yards or so (well beyond any expected SD application) it works consistently well for center mass or cranium hits (not precise--no pretty groupings to brag about--but close enough for bad guy shooting).

Beyond that range, I have to revert back to strong-eye, sight picture shooting, and a three-dot system works best for me.