Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: Don Hume JIT

Default Don Hume JIT

I've been carrying my CW380 in a JIT holster for a while now. I really like it for comfort and ability to hide the gun with just a t-shirt. My only complaint is that the gun doesn't seem to fit down very far in the holster. Its secure and the trigger is covered but there is a gap between the trigger and the grip that is not covered. I want to see if anyone else has this holster and if there's fits the gun better. I was going to order another one in brown to see if the ride depth is better but figured I'd ask here to see if it was just the was this holster is.

I think I'd like that gap if I'm thinking what your thinking. I like to get a full grip on the gun while it's still in the holster.
    If the gap was gone you probably couldn't do that.
    One reason I don't like the real low ride IWB rigs where the top of the gun is sometimes even flush with the top of the belt.
    Have to tug it out a bit to even get hold and then monkey around getting a grip.
    Not for me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I think I'd like that gap if I'm thinking what your thinking. I like to get a full grip on the gun while it's still in the holster.
    If the gap was gone you probably couldn't do that.
    One reason I don't like the real low ride IWB rigs where the top of the gun is sometimes even flush with the top of the belt.
    Have to tug it out a bit to even get hold and then monkey around getting a grip.
    Not for me.
    I was referring to the space between the trigger and the back of the trigger guard. I agree with you about room to grab the grip of the gun. I worry that the gun sits to high in the holster and will work it’s way out.

Quote Originally Posted by mpgo4th View Post
    I've been carrying my CW380 in a JIT holster for a while now. I really like it for comfort and ability to hide the gun with just a t-shirt. My only complaint is that the gun doesn't seem to fit down very far in the holster. Its secure and the trigger is covered but there is a gap between the trigger and the grip that is not covered. I want to see if anyone else has this holster and if there's fits the gun better. I was going to order another one in brown to see if the ride depth is better but figured I'd ask here to see if it was just the was this holster is.
    mpgo4th,

I haven't seen a Don Hume JIT in the flesh, but I do own what seems to be a Sig-branded Mitch Rosen equivalent (for my M11-A1). Does your CW380 fit in your JIT like the Glocks do in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQ4DcxRJBI? If so, then if I were you, I wouldn't be at all comfortable having so much of the rear of the trigger guard exposed!

My M11-A1 fits in my Mitch Rosen equivalent with its trigger guard (and muzzle) completely covered--which seems to me to be safer.

Actually, I do not use my Mitch Rosen. (I purchased it, at a discount, during a closeout, to try out.) Instead, I use a Don Hume 721 Open Top holster for my M11-A1 (and my P229) as a range holster. It was my very first holster, and I am extremely satisfied with it--so much so, in fact, that I ordered one for my new K9 a couple of weeks ago. I earlier today received an e-mail that the holster has been shipped, and I should receive it in a couple of days.

rx7sig

I have a D.H. JIT for my CW380 (marked "No. 40- P380"). Yes, it has a 1/4" gap (max) between the edge of the holster and the front of the grip behind the trigger. And yes, as Bawanna says, that gap needs to be there or else it would be harder to get a grip on the gun (there's already a slight interference on my knuckles as I grip the gun but not a big deal).

Anyway, this isn't my main CW380 holster. I bought the CW380 to be my "maximum concealment" gun, so I normally wear it AIWB. However, I have carried it in the JIT several times and the retention seems good. My only concern with the JIT is that it has one large belt loop - which is 1-1/2" wide and seems very sturdy. However, the 2nd belt loop - under the trigger - is 5/16" wide and seems pretty flimsy. I don't think it will just fail without warning, but I feel like I have to keep an eye on it and I don't expect it to last through lots of normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    mpgo4th,

I haven't seen a Don Hume JIT in the flesh, but I do own what seems to be a Sig-branded Mitch Rosen equivalent (for my M11-A1). Does your CW380 fit in your JIT like the Glocks do in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQ4DcxRJBI? If so, then if I were you, I wouldn't be at all comfortable having so much of the rear of the trigger guard exposed!

My M11-A1 fits in my Mitch Rosen equivalent with its trigger guard (and muzzle) completely covered--which seems to me to be safer.

Actually, I do not use my Mitch Rosen. (I purchased it, at a discount, during a closeout, to try out.) Instead, I use a Don Hume 721 Open Top holster for my M11-A1 (and my P229) as a range holster. It was my very first holster, and I am extremely satisfied with it--so much so, in fact, that I ordered one for my new K9 a couple of weeks ago. I earlier today received an e-mail that the holster has been shipped, and I should receive it in a couple of days.

rx7sig
    Yes, that’s how high mine sits. It just doesn’t seem to be secure.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartachesNhangovers View Post
    I have a D.H. JIT for my CW380 (marked "No. 40- P380"). Yes, it has a 1/4" gap (max) between the edge of the holster and the front of the grip behind the trigger. And yes, as Bawanna says, that gap needs to be there or else it would be harder to get a grip on the gun (there's already a slight interference on my knuckles as I grip the gun but not a big deal).

Anyway, this isn't my main CW380 holster. I bought the CW380 to be my "maximum concealment" gun, so I normally wear it AIWB. However, I have carried it in the JIT several times and the retention seems good. My only concern with the JIT is that it has one large belt loop - which is 1-1/2" wide and seems very sturdy. However, the 2nd belt loop - under the trigger - is 5/16" wide and seems pretty flimsy. I don't think it will just fail without warning, but I feel like I have to keep an eye on it and I don't expect it to last through lots of normal use.
    i agree there needs to be room to grip th weapon for draw but it looks like half of the gun is not supported. Instead of ordering another one to try I went ahead and ordered a kydex iwb holster to try. It not really my thing but with a gun this small I’m hoping the comfort is still there. I have too much crap on me to pocket carry regularly and I need to find a way to consistently carry to practice with. I have a hybrid iwb for this gun but it seems like overkill to stuff all of that stuff in my pants for a 13 oz gun. I’m pretty picky about my holsters, if it’s not comfortable I’m not carrying it.

mpgo4th,

I just took a couple of photos showing my M11-A1 sitting in the Sig-branded Mitch Rosen holster I mention above. The pictures clearly show (1) the trigger guard completely covered, and (2) generous space that allows a full combat grip.

I am unable to upload the photos, though. (I just searched and found a post that indicates I will be unable to upload photos to ST until I have a total of 30 posts on ST.) Unfortunately, the Sig Sauer web site no longer shows the holster.

I don't use the holster for CC because I am unable to draw from it while seated (I carry left-handed, at 8:30-9:00), and because it doesn't have a retention strap.

ETA: I just googled and found a pic here of my holster (but for a P225-A1 rather than a M11-A1): https://americanhandgunner.com/the-p225-a1/

rx7sig
    Last edited by rx7sig; 08-19-2018 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added link.

The Don Hume J IT is my favorite holster. I have one for every style handgun that I own. Never had an issue with them.