Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace

Thread: IDPA holster for a TP9 ?

Default IDPA holster for a TP9 ?

I am going to shoot in a local IDPA league this fall using my TP9. Looking for suggestions for a OWB holster to use. I thought I read that a standard 1911 holster would work for the TP9 pistol.

A TP9 is simply a longer / taller version of the generic Kahr polymer 9mm; the "center section" is essentially the same as a CM9, CW9, CT9, P9, PM9, etc. Having shot IDPA with a CM9, I think the TP9 is a much better choice. Especially outdoors, IDPA shooting favors the biggest / heaviest allowable pistol within the division.

A standard 1911 is significantly wider than a TP9; never say never, but I don't see how the same holster could properly fit both pistols.

I suggest that you carefully read the section about holsters in the IDPA rulebook before making any decision; the requirements are more than a little complicated. Same advice / comment applies to magazine carriers.

Appreciate your help.

The 1911 slide width is very similar to the tp9 but the grip and controls make for a wider measurement at the back. For that reason I'd say a soft style holster would fit pretty good, but if you're looking for a ridgid holster to fit both.......ehhh not so much.

I've been using for about 10(?) years now, an Uncle Mikes kydex paddle holster for a 1911, my CW40 and PM40 have good retention and fit well in this holster!

I don't know if they have changed their design over the years!
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe