Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone capable of modding a magazine?

Default Anyone capable of modding a magazine?

Looking for a flush fit magazine for my PM45, like this one http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ine-I-made-one!

I contacted BearDog but haven't heard anything back, anyone else did this mod? I would like to have one made if anyone is willing to help me out, of course I will pay for all materials and labor. If anyone can do this please hit me up. Thanks, Paul

Ok....so I didn't get the response I was hoping for on this thread....so I took it upon myself to figure it out. I decided rather than get a 1911 mag and have to modify the feeder lips, I would just mod the lower portion of a stock PM45 clip. Pretty easy and simple really. Shaped a piece of stainless using the stock plastic end piece, then drill and pinned it in. Grind it flat on the belt sander and clean up the edges with a small file....done. No messing with the feeder lips, no worrying with the upper staying open with the last shot. I think it looks great, that 1/4" off the bottom means the world when CC. Here are some pics.

Nicely done. Looks really clean. I think I would file off some of the grip a bit to insure getting the mag seated, or add a tiny bumper perhaps.
    Of course if your spare mags (if you carry one) have the plastic it don't matter, you won't have to speed load your carry mag.

I like it.

Like to do mine if I build up the courage and find the time.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Agree. Very good work!

Looks great, can you do me one?
    NRA Benefactor

Nice! You should start a side business!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ4553 View Post
    Ok....so I didn't get the response I was hoping for on this thread....so I took it upon myself to figure it out. I decided rather than get a 1911 mag and have to modify the feeder lips, I would just mod the lower portion of a stock PM45 clip. Pretty easy and simple really. Shaped a piece of stainless using the stock plastic end piece, then drill and pinned it in. Grind it flat on the belt sander and clean up the edges with a small file....done. No messing with the feeder lips, no worrying with the upper staying open with the last shot. I think it looks great, that 1/4" off the bottom means the world when CC. Here are some pics.
    Just brilliant PJ4553, both in concept and execution.
    The use of roll pins is very clever as a means to hold the base plate in place.
    Looking at the location of the two holes, I suspect the pins would also provide enough support that the base plate could be made from other materials. 3D printed plastic comes immediately to mind; having played with some parts Alfonse printed when working up his base plates, I think it would work.

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, excellent photos

P.S. Springfield EMP users might also be interested in this. Logman on the 1911 forums does welded base plates for them. His work is top notch, but this is much closer to DIY and very clean in concept.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Nicely done. Looks really clean. I think I would file off some of the grip a bit to insure getting the mag seated, or add a tiny bumper perhaps.
    Of course if your spare mags (if you carry one) have the plastic it don't matter, you won't have to speed load your carry mag.

I like it.

Like to do mine if I build up the courage and find the time.
    Thanks, The first go around I left 1/16" sticking out but went back to the grinder and took it down just below flush...you do have to used your thumb to get the "click" but it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Looks great, can you do me one?
    If I can get a decent order up I will be happy to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Just brilliant PJ4553, both in concept and execution.
    The use of roll pins is very clever as a means to hold the base plate in place.
    Looking at the location of the two holes, I suspect the pins would also provide enough support that the base plate could be made from other materials. 3D printed plastic comes immediately to mind; having played with some parts Alfonse printed when working up his base plates, I think it would work.

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, excellent photos

P.S. Springfield EMP users might also be interested in this. Logman on the 1911 forums does welded base plates for them. His work is top notch, but this is much closer to DIY and very clean in concept.
    Thank you sir! I do have access to a Zortrax M200 3D printer (I'm a Engineering/Technology teacher) so I may give some ABS plastic a shot. This is my first one and with any project the quality gets better and better as you see more fluid design changes.