Hi Folks,

I have a Cannon gun safe, I've had it for about 6-7 years. About 3 weeks ago, I went to open it and it would not open, made funny, unusual beeping noises. This was a Sunday, and I was heading out of town for work. During the week I called Cannon and they basically said it was the battery. I knew it was not the battery because I changed it and measured the voltage on the new one at 9.18 volts. I told them this. They said I needed to call back when I was standing in front of the safe. Fast forward one week, I call them back, they have me take out the battery, unhook the lock cable, punch all the keys and put it back together. No joy, still will not open. They tell me I'll have to get a locksmith to drill it, and then get a new lock.

I call around and get a name of someone who specializes in gun safes, going to cost $250 to open, and $125 to install a new mechanical lock, this includes patching up the drill hole. But the guy is a nice guy and tells me to call the lock people, Securam, they might have a way to force it open.

So I call Securam, they are busy, nobody answers the phone, leave a message. About 1 hour later they call me, have me try a few things, the guy can hear the funny beeps over the phone, says the keypad has a short, I can tell by the beeps. Says, all I need is a new keypad. Emails me a coupon for 20% off and tells me if it doesn't fix my problem, I can send it back within 30 days.

Well, cost me around $68 with shipping, arrived today, installed it right away, and it opened right up with my old combo.

Moral of the story, Cannon safe tech support is not so hot. Securam is Outstanding.

Posting this in case someone has a similar experience. Don't give up until you call the lock folks.

Now, since it worked, I called the locksmith, will cost $205 to convert to mechanical, I think I'll keep the electronic one, first one lasted 6 years.

-Ken