CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe Electronic KeyPad Lock Failure.

Default Gun Safe Electronic KeyPad Lock Failure.

Hi Folks,

I have a Cannon gun safe, I've had it for about 6-7 years. About 3 weeks ago, I went to open it and it would not open, made funny, unusual beeping noises. This was a Sunday, and I was heading out of town for work. During the week I called Cannon and they basically said it was the battery. I knew it was not the battery because I changed it and measured the voltage on the new one at 9.18 volts. I told them this. They said I needed to call back when I was standing in front of the safe. Fast forward one week, I call them back, they have me take out the battery, unhook the lock cable, punch all the keys and put it back together. No joy, still will not open. They tell me I'll have to get a locksmith to drill it, and then get a new lock.

I call around and get a name of someone who specializes in gun safes, going to cost $250 to open, and $125 to install a new mechanical lock, this includes patching up the drill hole. But the guy is a nice guy and tells me to call the lock people, Securam, they might have a way to force it open.

So I call Securam, they are busy, nobody answers the phone, leave a message. About 1 hour later they call me, have me try a few things, the guy can hear the funny beeps over the phone, says the keypad has a short, I can tell by the beeps. Says, all I need is a new keypad. Emails me a coupon for 20% off and tells me if it doesn't fix my problem, I can send it back within 30 days.

Well, cost me around $68 with shipping, arrived today, installed it right away, and it opened right up with my old combo.

Moral of the story, Cannon safe tech support is not so hot. Securam is Outstanding.

Posting this in case someone has a similar experience. Don't give up until you call the lock folks.

Now, since it worked, I called the locksmith, will cost $205 to convert to mechanical, I think I'll keep the electronic one, first one lasted 6 years.

-Ken
    NRA Benefactor

I was very reluctant to get a safe with an electronic lock but just last week I finally relented.
    I wasn't aware that they could be converted to mechanical, that's good to know.
    So far I like it. It doesn't hold as many guns and it claims but it serves it's intended purpose for now.
    I got an employee discount at my 4th job so it was a pretty good deal and now a few more I prefer secure are secure. Comforting.
    I guess if it don't open I got an 8# keg of Winchester 452 sitting on top, some fuse and a match and I bet she'll open.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have a smaller electronic safe. Takes batteries but also plugs in. When I got smart enough, I figured that the batteries are for back up in case of power outage. When I got really smart, I took the damn batteries out because even with a power outage and no batteries, I have a key on my keychain that opens it with a key. Duh...………………………………………………….

That's getting way up there in the smart department.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

i've long preferred keypad safes. But consider mechanical/key unlock as backup a needed feature. Our personal, non-gun, keypad safe has been 20 years flawless with one or two battery changes.
    NRA Benefactor

Well, my safe's dumb combination lock hasn't failed me yet in 25 years except when I have a brainfart & can't remember the dang digits.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I've heard that you can remove that electronic lock, replace it with another programed with a different combination and open the safe. Wonder if it's true?

Hate to read this, as I have a Cannon also.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    I've heard that you can remove that electronic lock, replace it with another programed with a different combination and open the safe. Wonder if it's true?

Hate to read this, as I have a Cannon also.
    I lived my entire professional life in an environment that required high security entry door and safe locks. All combination at first and then those plus, electronic keypads, mag swipe, and prox cards as technology evolved. The very idea of being able to simply remove such a lock from the outside and replace it with a preprogrammed another that would allow access sends a chill up my spine.

Even in lower security applications, such a gun safes, I've never observed an install that would allow such a thing.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    I lived my entire professional life in an environment that required high security entry door and safe locks. All combination at first and then those plus, electronic keypads, mag swipe, and prox cards as technology evolved. The very idea of being able to simply remove such a lock from the outside and replace it with a preprogrammed another that would allow access sends a chill up my spine.

Even in lower security applications, such a gun safes, I've never observed an install that would allow such a thing.
    I spent the last 10-years of my working life in such an environment...multi-billion dollar data centers, in which all of the locks on the high-security doors were biometric (requiring a fingerprint scan). When it came to security, money was no object in these facilities due to the nature of the data stored there. While the biometrics functioned properly most of the time, they did fail with some regularity. I can tell you that I would never, ever consider a quick-access gun safe that required a finger scan, or any other type of electronic locking system for that matter.