Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New car for Wifey.

Default New car for Wifey.

Well, one day last week I went to start my wife's 2001 Volvo S40 and it sounded like it was to start for a few milliseconds... really... then it went clunk. All attempts to start it did the same. I checked the battery... fairly recent, and it was fine. I even tried to jump start with another good battery at the same time... same results.

It was built in November 2000 and we bought it new for her in June 2001. I've been keeping it running and dreading it needing any repairs because they would cost more than the car is worth... "fair" with 125K miles... $200-$600 trade-in value.

Later that day it started fine. Now I'm worried my wife will be out across town and the danged thing not start! I really didn't want to put any more money into it, so started thinking about replacement.

I've always wanted a Subaru Forester for her... the highest rated small SUV with all kinds of safety features. So I looked around that weekend and late Saturday night I thought about USAA's car buying program, and others, but I went through the procedures online and I got responses from several dealers... one close and the other across town. I wound up accepting an offer to see one that somewhat approximated my desires and options at the closest dealer... one with the highest rating for customer satisfaction. You really can't buy a danged Subaru without that roof rack unless you order one custom built at the factory, but at least we didn't have to have a moon roof or leather seats.

This was on Sunday and after discussing it with my wife, I emailed the manager who made an offer for one at invoice less $400+ off. I told my wife that we would take the title to the Volvo along... just in case. I figured I would go for just about any offer on the trade in to keep from having to try to sell that. I didn't relish trying to sell it because I can't help being truthful and not trying to deceive anyone.

Anyhow, we looked at the car and took it for a test drive. It's larger than what my wife wanted, but I didn't want to try the Crosstrack, a crossover and smaller Subaru with no track record of reliability, etc. Wifey liked it, but she still wasn't convinced about the size, but agreed with me on the Forester's great ratings, so we sat down with a sales guy and I figured to be handled a bit over final pricing and my trade in.

The manager doubled the trade-in value for the Volvo and gave us $1,000 of the already discounted price. I couldn't believe it! So we came to an agreement and I even got the 10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty for under $1,600. I don't usually do that, but peace of mind for Wifey's car was on my mind. I had to add on a few options that I wanted... later added the fog lights, too. Those didn't get rolled into the deal because I added them a few days later and they will be installed with the other things.

There are things that I didn't get, or didn't want to try to add, and I got a few things I would have left off, but it was the end of the model year and I wanted to drive away without the Volvo. Mission accomplished.

I got the entry mode with the non-turbo 2.5 engine and the CVT transmission. One of the tings I need is acceleration under 9 seconds 0 to 60 mph. This one tested at 8.7 seconds, coincidentally the same as my 2005 GMC AWD Savana AND the Volvo S40. It seems a lot peppier, though, and I can't believe how easy it gets going. The CVT is different... no spaces between gears or shifts, and the tranny seems to drag a bit instead of free wheeling as you slow down in parking lots or whatever... not a bad thing... just different.

I spent yesterday and today putting protective sprays and stuff on everything but the painted surfaces... silicone(2 cans) on all of the rubber, especially the drive shaft boots, and Scotchgarding the upholstery and carpet... 3 cans for 2+ coats. I also did all of the black trim and plastic with a protectant. The car is drying out with the doors open... door and LED mirror lights stay on, so I have a charger on the battery at a low setting.

It should be good to go in the morning, but Wifey's not ready to drive it, yet! She keeps taking the van and will until the 4th when she'll go with me for a biopsy procedure. I still don't have but maybe 80 miles on the car... about 60 more than when we bought it.

I gave rave reviews for the dealership and the people we worked with... the most enjoyable car purchase ever!

I'll try to add a picture that I took at the dealership of her. She seems happy!

I just wanted to share our experience.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frιdιric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Nice, she looks happy....suppose my wife will want new car next. You did good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

The wifey and I had been driving Accords since 2000. In 2014 I started looking at Subaru's, and was impressed with them, but didn't want all of that electronic gadgetry they hang on them these days, and I wanted the larger engine. Told the wifey that the day I need the car to drive and stop and park for me, is the day I'll hang up my keys. So I did some searching and found 2 Legacy's within 100 mile radius that had what I wanted/didn't want and purchased a new Legacy in 2014. Love that car, especially in the winter. I goes through snow like magic. I did want leather and fog lights, but no sunroof, and got my 3.5 engine. From what I see on the telly, and what I have experienced at other dealerships is this " no haggle " purchasing. You go in and they point to a computer screen and say, " this is what you pay." We'll give you this much for your trade. I don't know about you, but I don't pay a price for a car just because that's what the computer screen says, or because they seem to have lots of kid salespeople that don't know the front from the back of what their selling. It makes it easy for them, they just point at the computer screen and tell you that the number your looking at, is the average price that people have paid for their vehicle. If you pay them what they want, you can even buy a car online and have it delivered. The dealership that I purchased my vehicle from kind of caters to the older generation. They basically ask you what you want to pay, and you go from there. No pointing at a computer, no telling you what everyone else is paying...…………………………………………………………………….at the end of the day, I got what I wanted to pay, getting a fair trade in. I traded a 2000 Accord with 125,000 miles. I figured on the high side it was worth $2000 because mechanically it was very well taken care of, it had some paint issues. I could have sold it outright for $2000, that's what I told them, so they gave me the $2000. Then I told them that I wanted $4000 off of the sticker price right away. I told them that I was helping them get an oddball car off of their lot. One with a larger engine, and no electronics, and no sun roof. Had to be worth that much off for starters. Then all they had to do is tell me how much more they were willing to discount before I leave and go elsewhere. Plenty of Subaru dealerships up here. I ended up writing a number on a piece of paper, he took it to the sales manager and came back, ok it's a deal. They are so low pressure, never trying to sell you unneeded services, got all the latest stuff in the waiting room. Food, beverages, wi-fi, washes, etc. I dread the fact that, if I ever need to purchase another vehicle, I will be forced to live with one of these newer "gadget" cars, unless I buy used. If I would have purchased the vehicle for average online pricing, I would have paid $3000-3500 more than I paid using the old way of doing business...…………………………………………………………………………………………………….

When we were looking for my wife's previous car, I wanted all of the safety features for her, but cloth seats and no sun roof... and in WHITE! It was just frustrating that there were so few choices back in 2001. Every vehicle didn't have a bunch of airbags and ABS, etc. It took a premium version to get most of that and then you were looking at a mandatory sun/moon roof, leather, and NO white... the Honda Civic was like that! We did look at an Subaru Impreza(?) but Wifey didn't want it.

I hadn't even checked out the Volvo pricing and she wanted to see those. They had everything we wanted, but I hadn't done any research on pricing it and she was ready to drive it away... just over $26K out the door with almost no concessions. I told her we weren't going to do that this time.

You got a great deal and I'm happy with ours. You would have had to seen the Volvo with a crappy radio and speakers... I told them that... and that the roof liner had come loose... a problem with Volvos from that period. Lots of plastic crap falling apart or sticky from some kind of weird degradation. I had white screen mounting frames bent in shape to keep the liner in place.

I was ecstatic to get $1,000 trade in on it and drive away in the new car of our choice at a satisfactory price. The car had a lot of other problems, but did run and Wifey had wanted to keep it running as long as possible. I had wanted to get her a new and reliable replacement for MANY years!

We have more debt but I'm very happy with the whole experience. It really happened quickly... and I'm glad that it did.

This Forester with the CVT really likes to get going quickly. I love it! I don't have to worry about that danged Volvo anymore!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frιdιric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I'm a car salesman's worst nightmare. I spent 11 hours on the sales floor once getting a pickup for what I wanted.

A quick story related to Beretta's young kid salesmen.

I was at our local Chevy dealer looking for a pickup for the wife. Had my son with me and we're going down the line looking at trucks, used and new.
    One new one caught my fancy and I told the guy I just had to sit in it. So we finangled the chair up to where I could get in.

As I was doing that I noticed it had manual crank windows. It's been so long since I saw manual windows I just knew I had to have fun with the kid.
    So I pushed the middle of the knob and of course nothing happened. I said oh,,,,,,must have to have the key on.

Kid says no, and turned the crank to lower the window. I went all shock and awe, and asked if I could try it.
    So then I asked so if I'm in a driving rain storm with the window down and a dead battery I can just turn this dealy hymer and roll the window up?

He said yes. I asked if I ordered a new truck could I order this type of window and how much extra?

He said they come that way, power windows are extra, I'm like no way dude!

As we go into the showroom I see him kind of whisper to an older salesman that I must have fell off a turnip truck.
    Guy came over and asked how old I was, so I told him, he said you got that kid so messed up in the head it'll take weeks for him to be normal again.

Told him mission accomplished.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Congratulations Wynn.

Must be that time of year....

I finally decided it was time to trade in my trusty 2011 Tacoma - it looks just like berettabone's truck - same color and all.

When I bought that truck, the only option it had was a bug shield. Bare bones, but I got a great deal and paid cash for it. In 75,000 miles, the only thing it took for yearly state inspection was a license plate bulb. Good truck!

This time, I wanted all the bells and whistles - and I got 'em. Damn thing even has radar. I'm still looking for the sidewinder missile select switch....

2018 Tacoma Limited.

2018 Tacoma Limited.jpg

My 2013 Taco 4x4 just turned 80K on the clock.
    Nothing but tires, brakes and oil...
    $20,323 tax, tag and license (out the door)
    I'm a happy camper

Full Disclosure:
    The Shelby GT-H was a rental - LOL!

I'm a Toyota guy but my brother has driven a Forester for many years and he loves it. Last I checked with him about it, about two years ago, he had over 125K miles on it with no issues ever. Congrats on the new Subaru.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I've been in sticker shock ever since the MSRP of a plain pickup truck passed $2,000.

Never thought I'd pay more for a new car than we bought our first house for ($23,000) in 1971. Did just that when I bought the wife a new Accord two years ago. Nice car for an average ride though. We do like the backup camera - makes it easier to back into a parking spot or yto run over the neighbor's cat.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Good choice. Did you get it from the Atlantic Blvd. place? They seem like good folks, though we haven’t bought from them since my ‘03 Forester.