CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any SCCY love?

Here and there, a bit of everywhere and nowhere

Default Any SCCY love?

Yes, the Kahr forum, but I do wish Kahr would have produced a double stack pocket pistol.

In discrete admission, I have recently come upon a new SCCY CPX-2, which seems to have the features I demand, and at a quite reasonable price of two hundred US dollars, plus our government's portion.

I've had no failures so far, and although I do own and fire my Kahr PM9, and its also quite reliable, I feel a bit more inviolable carrying ten cartridges plus one in the chamber.

And so I ask, as a new fellow, is there any love for the SCCY, or perhaps some other alternative which proffers the same excellent features of size, double action trigger, and lacks a manually employed safety mechanism?

I do thank all who choose to respond

Personally, I see no need for Kahr to produce a double stack pistol. There are tons of them out there if that's what you want, but I don't. For a carry gun I want the pistol to be as small and light, including ammo, as possible. That is Kahr's ballpark, and the reason that out of the fifteen handguns I own, I carry a Kahr about 95% of the time. Capacity isn't a big issue for me, but if it was, I could always carry a spare mag. I read sometime back that in the average defensive use of a gun, three rounds or less were fired. My Kahr CM45 holds six, so I think I'm covered. If I expect a war, I'll take an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    Personally, I see no need for Kahr to produce a double stack pistol. There are tons of them out there if that's what you want, but I don't. For a carry gun I want the pistol to be as small and light, including ammo, as possible. That is Kahr's ballpark, and the reason that out of the fifteen handguns I own, I carry a Kahr about 95% of the time. Capacity isn't a big issue for me, but if it was, I could always carry a spare mag. I read sometime back that in the average defensive use of a gun, three rounds or less were fired. My Kahr CM45 holds six, so I think I'm covered. If I expect a war, I'll take an AR.
    I disagree, and the sales success of the SIG P365 shows that the market wants more capacity in a small package. Have you ever handled a P365? It's pretty much the same size as a CM9. 10 rounds in a 6 round package is a no-brainer.

Right now I guarantee you other companies are working on their own P365 type pistol.

If I was new to pistols, and I was short on cash, the SCCY would be a good choice. The Gen-2's appear to be pretty reliable. The trigger is exceptionally heavy in my opinion. That's the only draw back. They are not for me. Too big for pocket carry. If I need a belt holster, might as well go bigger too.

Everyone has different taste and needs, so each to their own. Which ever pistol you carry and shoot well, is the one for you.
    NRA Benefactor

I think the SCCY is interesting and considered one several times. Recently I picked up a P365 and like MMyers said it’s awesome and virtually the same size as a CM9 and mine has been reliable for me. Only thing is you can get 2 SCCY pistols for the cost of 1 P365. I do like the 10 round minimum carry idea too.

It reminds me of the kel-tec P-11 I think it is which I have never seen in person but if I did I would consider one of those too just because of its size.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    Personally, I see no need for Kahr to produce a double stack pistol. There are tons of them out there if that's what you want
    I am at a loss while endeavoring to locate a small, 9mm sidearm, with a larger capacity, and fitted with a double action trigger. I do not prefer the 9mm, as in my mind, I find it marginal. That, of course, is discussion for a time when the spirits flow freely. Needless to say, I do own several Browning GPs. Ah but size does matter, and when attempting to drive the nail with hammer too light, it may take quite a few blows to accomplish the task.

I savor my Kahr pistols. I've never had any inadequacy in their performance, with scores and scores of firings. The SCCY is essentially the same size, save being just a fraction thicker in the grip. Hitherto, its been unremarkably pleasant and sure in its performance as well.

Limitation on acquisition, by way of funding paucity, presents no obstacle; only the lack of suitable candidate arms. I find the Kahr, the Kel-Tec and the SCCY. I am made to believe that there once was a Beretta of American manufacture, that was also double action and near minuscule. I don't find those in the marketplace, however.

None the less, as Kahr enthusiast, and having perceived need for something greater, the SCCY came on board for my daily travels.

Truly no more established venue to discuss such matters, as Kahrtalk. From what I observe, most participants seem of similar mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    I disagree, and the sales success of the SIG P365 shows that the market wants more capacity in a small package. Have you ever handled a P365? It's pretty much the same size as a CM9. 10 rounds in a 6 round package is a no-brainer.

Right now I guarantee you other companies are working on their own P365 type pistol.
    What are you disagreeing with? As I said there are small, double stack pistols available. I just said that I, personally, didn't want the larger size or the weight of the extra ammo. Yes, I have seen and even shot the SIG at my LGS. I am a SIG fan, [I have three] and if I wanted a double stack, 9mm that probably the one I would buy. However, that not what I want. It is also not the niche that Kahr has created for itself for the last 25 years.

Being that I need to first shoot any carry gun many times at the range, and being that the SCCY trigger hurt my fingers to pull, I could not put enough practice time in with the SCCY to feel ok carrying it. Were I full of adrenaline I may not care (and it may help prevent me from an AD), but not being able to put enough rounds down range to confidently carry it had me relegate it to being a BUG, then a trade off gun. I actually have owned a second one, giving it a second chance, and ended up with the same result. For when I want better capacity than one of my single stacks, I’ve ended up with an M&P9c. Not far off from a Shield in size, but better capacity. I got mine used, with Apex trigger, kydex holster and XS big dot sights for $325. Not a whole lot more than you will spend on a SCCY, but a night and day different gun.

I have made to interesting observations. First being that SCCY has redesigned their trigger from a rather pain inducing stacked level surface on which to press one's finger, to a smooth one. All double action triggers ought rightfully be smooth, like the Kahr, or like a good Smith & Wesson of days past. A serrated, checkered, or otherwise textured surface has no place in a the double action realm.

The other interesting bit, is that many SCCY owners alter their "grip-frame", myself included. A bit of deeper sleuthing on the various search engines suggests some individuals do not care for the finger grooves, and curtail, or remove them. Mine went from being a 1950's bullet bra style protrusion, to a 1970's halter top curviform gentleness.

Quote Originally Posted by Banderington1957 View Post
    ........ Mine went from being a 1950's bullet bra style protrusion, to a 1970's halter top curviform gentleness.
    That statement paints quite a picture right there, a nice one by the way, and it has nothing to do with firearms.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/