Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good afternoon

Default Good afternoon

I just joined today, to read up on the Kahr handguns and ask a few questions. I am looking at purchasing a Kahr CW 9, for personal home protection. I live in the country, and there are a lot of "loonies" running around. I have several shotguns and rifles in my gun cabinet but would fill safer with a handgun in my bedroom, within reach. The CW 9 is in my price range, and the only question I have is reliability. I've read online a few people stating that the manufacturer advises shooting 100 rounds in this gun to establish reliability. Is this true?
    thanks,
    Coadman

Howdy Coadman,

Your question has been asked a few times and is a good one. Kahr actually recommends 200 rounds for break in.
    it may or may not need that. The deal is if it's balky (and it most likely won't be) they want you to shoot it enough to make sure it's had a chance to work itself out (or not).

Personally I think all guns require a break in. Kahr is just one of the few that is open and up front with it. Many of course believe that they paid all this money for a gun and it should work perfectly right out of the box. Most actually do, but some don't.
    There are guns that cost 1000's of dollars that recommend and need a break in.

I also don't have faith in a gun until I've put a lot more than 200 through it with zero issues.

We've heard of very few issues with the CW 9 and I seriously doubt you'll have any issues.

Welcome, glad you found us.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well said Bawanna!

Welcome to the forums Coadman!

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Welcome Coadman! As you have probably read (hence your question), Kahr builds them tight (awesome in my opinion), possibly requiring some run time to loosen up enough to not restrict their own actions. You MIGHT speed up the process a bit while saving some dough and frustration at the same time.
    You can remove the magazine, and any rounds of course, and rack it a few (hundred) times. I’ve found it to be less taxing if you hold the slide and push the grip away from you rather than holding the grip and pulling the slide towards you. You can also leave the slide locked back overnight. The dry racking will break in the recoil system as will leaving it locked open overnight. The dry racking will also help the slide and slide rails mate/smooth out. Add some snap caps for trigger action and you can do a lot of breaking in without buying a lot of ammo, or having a potentially frustrating day at the range. I learned the hard way to always take a few other pistols to the range when shooting a new one (of any make or model), just in case it balks. They usually wont refund range fees if your gun won’t run. But, being in the country, maybe range fees are not a concern?
    Happy shooting and hope you like your new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Welcome Coadman! As you have probably read (hence your question), Kahr builds them tight (awesome in my opinion), possibly requiring some run time to loosen up enough to not restrict their own actions. You MIGHT speed up the process a bit while saving some dough and frustration at the same time.
    You can remove the magazine, and any rounds of course, and rack it a few (hundred) times. I’ve found it to be less taxing if you hold the slide and push the grip away from you rather than holding the grip and pulling the slide towards you. You can also leave the slide locked back overnight. The dry racking will break in the recoil system as will leaving it locked open overnight. The dry racking will also help the slide and slide rails mate/smooth out. Add some snap caps for trigger action and you can do a lot of breaking in without buying a lot of ammo, or having a potentially frustrating day at the range. I learned the hard way to always take a few other pistols to the range when shooting a new one (of any make or model), just in case it balks. They usually wont refund range fees if your gun won’t run. But, being in the country, maybe range fees are not a concern?
    Happy shooting and hope you like your new toy!
    Thanks for the tips! When I do find the gun I'm looking for I'll try the "dry racking" technique you mentioned, Im all for saving money on ammo. As you mentioned, range fees are not a concern. I'm a farmer/rancher, so I have plenty of wide,open spaces to practice with any type gun.
    Jim

Got a spare room. I'm partial to wide open spaces especially where I can shoot any type of gun when I want.

I don't eat much, don't take up much space and come from a long line of farmer/ranchers.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I do have a spare room, but hope you are not allergic to cats(we have two)? You could come for a visit, but this time of year you might be put to work, either driving a combine harvesting soybeans, or helping my son process cattle in his starting yard. On second thought, I know he would hire you, as the older fellow he has helping him is going in for replacement hip surgery next month. All the open range practice shooting you want? :-)
    Jim

I've spent a little time on a combine before, done more sorting hogs than cattle but helped look after a bunch of cows too.
    Need a derelict accessible combine these days, and wheelchairs don't get round too good in the cattle lot, maybe I could use a little quad to wrangle them doggies.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Hey Coadman......Where do you live???
    Maybe we can have a "Kahr" reunion at your place............Just joking, I certainly wasn't trying to scare you away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have asked that myself since we're gonna be room mates. Pretty dumb of me. Could be California or New York City for all I know.

Naw, they probably don't allow cows or combines in those places.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan