Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: New member and newbie question

Unhappy New member and newbie question

So first hi everyone new member , from FL recently bought a cm9 as my first ever pistol or firearm of any kind . Having little experience with guns I don't have much to compare but I hit the target consistently and it feels comfortable enough in my hand and I like the gun. Having finished the recommended "break in" periods I ran into one jam since then nothing when firing, BUT ( obviously there's a but) when I insert a fresh mag into an empty gun the slide stops halfway back unless I physically push the slide stop up while racking am I doing something wrong? Didn't happen when I first got it.

Hi, and welcome. I'm sort of a Kahr newbie myself, but have a couple of thoughts:

Make sure you chamber the first round using the slide release lever, as Kahr recommends.

What ammo are you using? The little Kahrs have a fairly steep feed ramp, and some don't like certain wide-mouth hollow points or flat-tip range ammo.

You may have a magazine problem...try loading just 5 rounds in the mag and see what happens.

Howdy, practice and shoot some more. It is a good pistol.

You've gotten some good advice. Chamber the first round using the slide release. I'm guessing since you're in the first few hundred rounds that you're using range ammo that's fmj. If not, then it may be the angle of the hollowpoint ammo. XTP type hollowpoints usually cycle well. I'll add one more thing. The springs on the mags and the slide are usually pretty stiff when new. For the mags, I disasemble, clean and lube before I ever shoot a new gun. I also fill the mag and let it set at least overnight. It'll make it easier to load and should cycle smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    You've gotten some good advice. Chamber the first round using the slide release. I'm guessing since you're in the first few hundred rounds that you're using range ammo that's fmj. If not, then it may be the angle of the hollowpoint ammo. XTP type hollowpoints usually cycle well. I'll add one more thing. The springs on the mags and the slide are usually pretty stiff when new. For the mags, I disasemble, clean and lube before I ever shoot a new gun. I also fill the mag and let it set at least overnight. It'll make it easier to load and should cycle smoother.
    Filling the mag to capacity and letting it sit overnight (or longer) is indeed good advice, whether it's a Kahr other make.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgarhv View Post
    So first hi everyone new member , from FL recently bought a cm9 as my first ever pistol or firearm of any kind . Having little experience with guns I don't have much to compare but I hit the target consistently and it feels comfortable enough in my hand and I like the gun. Having finished the recommended "break in" periods I ran into one jam since then nothing when firing, BUT ( obviously there's a but) when I insert a fresh mag into an empty gun the slide stops halfway back unless I physically push the slide stop up while racking am I doing something wrong? Didn't happen when I first got it.
    The only thing that comes immediately to my mind that pushing up on the slide stop might affect is that it would cause the slide stop pin to rotate a bit. Perhaps, the lower barrel lug is dry (or damaged) causing it to hang up/drag on the slide stop pin and the slight rotation caused by pushing the stop up releases that. It would not hurt to more heavily lube the inside of the lug to see if that has a positive effect.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>