CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new

Thread: Flat magazine base pads

Default Flat magazine base pads

I don’t need the finger rest mags on the T9. Will the flat base stainless pads off the other models work on the T9?

thanks

Yes

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Thanks!

My P40 and P9 are similarly configured with ported barrels and O-rings with the flat metal bases. Kahr did sell black ones for a while... pricey at first, then dropped the plain black ones, but could use a black touchup pen by Birchwood Casey... does wear off, though.

As I did with the P40, I put an O-ring on the magazine with the metal base plate to stop pinching. The 3/32" thick by 3/4" inner diameter neoprene O-ring fits and doesn't cause binding or loosening of the lockup of the magazine.

15/16" to 3/32" by 3/4" on the label. The bottom mag has a 1/8" thick O-ring... too fat and prevents secure latching of the magazine.

I just wish they had some metal bases for the .45's.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Again, thank you.

I've done the O-Ring trick to "Mind The Gap" * as well -- works slick!

( * A little UK humor for ya... )

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Default Why Switch to Metal Floor Plate on CT-9's Magazine.

On my CT-9 I switched to the MK-9's metal floor plate on the magazine I keep in the gun (but not the spare I carry). I have narrow fingers so I've never felt any pinching with the CT-9, and I actually like having the little gap because it makes it easier to pull the magazine out out, should I need to.

I think it really does reduce make the gun more concealable. Not so much in reducing the size of any bulge (it's like shortening the grip by a small fraction of an inch), but rather by "rounding" the bottom edge of the gun -- so that the transition from "gun" to "no gun" is less sharp.

As I see it, there are three ways to make a gun more concealable:

1. Shortening the butt (e.g. by going from a Glock 17 to a Glock 19).
    2. Flattening the gun (e.g. going from a Glock to a Kahr).
    3. Disguising the bulge.

There are several ways to disguise the bulge:
    1. You can change its shape, e.g. the way a pocket holster changes it from a gun shape to a wallet shape.
    2. You can wear a random pattern to distract from the gun's outline (e.g. a Hawaiian print instead of a solid color shirt).
    3. You can wearing a darker color to reduce the difference in light reflection over the gun versus around it.
    4. You can smooth the gun's outline by wearing a looser cover garment, or a stiffer garment (e.g. jacket instead of a T-shirt).

Another way you can smooth the gun's outline is by making the edges of the gun less sharp -- which is what the narrowness of the metal floor plate accomplishes.

Some might ask, if I want more concealability why not just go to a smaller gun? The answer is that choice of a gun is a trade-off between concealability, bullet velocity, practical accuracy, and rapidity of the of the draw and shooting. That's why people differ so much in their preferences. That's why Kahr offers three sizes of 9mm.

My approach is to look for the most effective gun that is sufficiently concealable given the limits to my willingness to dress around the gun. The CT-9 is slightly more shootable, has slightly better ballistics and slightly greater capacity than the CW-9 or MP-9. Since I can conceal the CT-9 adequately, that's what I chose.

But if you can improve concealability even a little bit without at all sacrificing capacity, ballistics, velocity, or rapidity of fire -- why not go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by fsilber View Post
    There are several ways to disguise the bulge...
    I disguise the bulge of my Kahr's grip with a BuckTool multi-tool (a Leatherman would work too) worn in a belt sheath, so if my cover layer (vest of sweatshirt) rides up any, it's the sheathed tool that is seen as the "bulge"; the cover layer would have to come up quite a ways to expose the Kahr itself.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH