CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Did some shootin' over the weekend.

Default Did some shootin' over the weekend.

Flew into Tulsa this past Friday to visit my brother and his wife in Owasso. Had a great time. The girls had to go rub the numbers off the credit cards Saturday afternoon so my brother and I went to the gun range. Those of you in the area, that's a nice range! I'm jealous of how close he is; it took us less than 10 minutes to drive there. I didn't take any pictures of targets or the range itself though. Targets were just paper with a lot of holes close together, and the range has I think one 100- yard bay, about 8 50- yard bays to shoot rifle and handgun, and maybe 8 or so bays with various steel plates set up. We only punched holes, but had a great time.

Since I flew and I don't have the guts to check a gun yet, we just shot his stuff. He brought his FNS-9, HK VP9, Browning Buckmark 22, and S&W 686 for handguns, and his Browning X-bolts in 300 WSM and 6.5 Creedmoor. That was my first time shooting either the HK or the FN, which were a blast. The HK has a bit better trigger, but both of them shot lights out. The 686 needs a lot of snap cap rotations; single action is very crisp but double action just needs trigger strokes to smooth out the pull. Nothing like a Kahr's trigger though!

He was trying to find the right loads for those two rifles. I shot his 300 WSM first, and the rifle didn't group, it patterned. 50 yards 5 shots were in about 2.5". Not good. Switched to some 165 grain Barnes VOR-TX, and I shot 3, and they were all touching. He got behind the trigger, we raised the point of impact up a bit, and he shot 3 that were all touching. Good 'nuff!

That 6.5 Creedmoor I was kind of ambivalent about. Another X-bolt, it's another nice rifle. Just the caliber didn't thrill me, as it felt to me like a solution to a non-existent problem. This one had a muzzle brake, which in a soft-recoiling gun I didn't see the point, but that was until I pulled the trigger. Man oh man, that shot nice. Again the first load, believe it was some Hornaday like his '06 and 270 like, didn't group very well. Switched to....forget what we switched to, but we both shot 3-shot groups that were in one hole. Nice!

Weather was hot, in the 90s, but any day with trigger time involved is a very good day.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but just wanted to throw that out there for any of the folks that may be in Tulsa, you have access to a really nice range by Owasso.

Sounds like a good day to me........................how was the trigger on that FN and the VP????????????????????????????

Trigger on the VP was a little nicer than the FN. Both pulls felt Glock-short, typical for striker-fired guns, not real long like Kahrs. I liked both triggers, the VP was maybe a little more accurate but they both shot great. Those were the first 9s that I've shot in years, and thus far I'm suppressing the urge to buy one. Just don't want to add another caliber to the mix.

Sounds like an excellent weekend.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>