Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: Colt 1918 m1911a1

Default Colt 1918 m1911a1

Anybody know anything about these Colt 1918 m1911a1 ....value etc. what to look for? I have been offered this as a trade.
    This is only picture I currently have:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Don't know a thing but it looks kind of cool. Looks like it's had a melt job, extended slide release, sights obviously.
    Have to do some research I reckon.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The rule of thumb when you have an older firearm, DO NO MODS. It is worth quite a bit less than if it were all original. So you have to decide if it worth the trade. No way to really put a price on it to be honest. See if you can shoot it before making the trade. If you like it better than what you have, go for it.

The 1911A1 modifications weren't put into production until about 1924, so I'd question the frame. It also appears the frame has had a radius cut to accommodate the beaver tail grip safety. The thumb safety is much later production (if it's Colt made). Something bothers me about the scallops behind the trigger guard, but it might just be the photo.

The slide seems to be Colt. The rear sight appears to be one made by LPA. Is the replacement front sight staked on or has dovetail been cut for it?

What is the finish (or is there one) on the frame and slide? Are the lines and edges crisp? There seems to be some slight rounding of some edges in the photo.

I'd guess the grips are Springfield Armory.

A local shop had some older, modified Colts in a while back. The work done on them was for the most part excellent and they were in better cosmetic shape than the one in the photo here. Those guns went between $699 and $799 (one may have been $599).

All that said, I like what AJBert wrote.

Regards,
    Greg

I'm always a sucker for guns that shoot well.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I hate when folks "modernize" classic pistols. One thing to keep in mind. Metallurgy wasn't as good back then, likely to wear faster than modern metal. I would give the barrel a real good inspection. But it may have been replaced with something more modern. If it looks good inside, and shoots decent. I would go 500-750.00 trade value. If it was all original I would go double that amount.
    NRA Benefactor

Thanks all, that's what I needed.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Grip panels look just like the Springfield Armory GI wood.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling