Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Strange P380 Problem--Dead Trigger

It looks like the magazine disconnect might be the issue (I have a neutered CA p380). With the disconnect engaged, I can see the trigger bar slightly bulging the side panel at the very end of the trigger pull. I'll have to open her up and take a look and possibly remove the disconnect to verify.

EDIT: nevermind...with the slide on, the trigger bar slides down properly so it doesn't end up bulging the side panel. It's almost like the cocking cam is oriented improperly. If I back off the trigger ever-so-slightly, it'll grab hold and cock the striker.

EDIT2: I see what the problem is now. After the striker is 'fired' the cam is not pivoting back like it should when the trigger bar disconnector tab is forced downward. Since it's not pivoting back, it's not grabbing onto the striker to recock it. This might be caused by the CA magazine disconnect bar, because when I drop the mag out (which drops the mag disconnect bar) the cam pivots back properly. Alternatively, if I manually push the trigger bar disconnector tab down, the cam will pop back so the issue could be here as well...

I think I've isolated the issue, so my next step is to inspect the trigger bar/cam interface to see what's going on there...just need a damn torx set
    Last edited by flustercuck; 01-05-2019 at 11:25 AM.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by flustercuck View Post
    I think I've isolated the issue, so my next step is to inspect the trigger bar/cam interface to see what's going on there...just need a damn torx set
    Harbor Freight has a decent one that inexpensive...don't ask how I know...I have a P380.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Alright, picked up a torx set from harbor freight. I'm going to refer to this cam pivot action as the 'cam reset' from here on out (note this is not the same as the trigger bar reset).

So my suspicions were confirmed that the cam reset is not occurring and therefore not cocking the striker after cycling. Here's the weird part - it works with the inspection plate off. A temporary solution for me is to leave the plate screws loose and see how it performs.

Tag for info!

The other issue I have is random failure to fires. Looking at the primer on the ones that missed, the strike looks way off center and hard to extract. Not sure what that's about but probably extractor related. Used 95gr blazer
    Figured out my failure to fire issue - broken striker/firing pin

After dealing with the cam reset issue, I went to the range to test it out. Loaded up a mag, chambered a round, pulled the trigger...nothing. Not even an indentation in the primer (last time it was randomly off center). I'm thinking to myself, great now what. I knew I had to disassemble the slide and inspect the striker and when I did, the head was completely broken off. Mystery solved.

Ordering a LakeLine ultimate striker along with a spare trigger bar and spring just in case. I'm now wondering if these two issues are related to each other (cam reset and failure to fire), but we'll see. Funny thing is, my local gun store had this p380 on sale at a smoking deal that I couldn't pass up. Now I know why...I'll make this thing work though

Figured out my failure to fire issue - broken striker/firing pin

After dealing with the cam reset issue, I went to the range to test it out. Loaded up a mag, chambered a round, pulled the trigger...nothing. Not even an indentation in the primer (last time it was randomly off center). I'm thinking to myself, great now what. I knew I had to disassemble the slide and inspect the striker and when I did, the head was completely broken off. Mystery solved.

Ordering a LakeLine ultimate striker along with a spare trigger bar and spring just in case. I'm now wondering if these two issues are related to each other (cam reset and failure to fire), but we'll see. Funny thing is, my local gun store had this p380 on sale at a smoking deal that I couldn't pass up. Now I know why...I'll make this thing work though
    You are now classified as Kahr Tech Support Extraordinaire. Glad you found it and good job.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Default I have a dead trigger also, ca p380

It looks like the magazine disconnect might be the issue (I have a neutered CA p380). With the disconnect engaged, I can see the trigger bar slightly bulging the side panel at the very end of the trigger pull. I'll have to open her up and take a look and possibly remove the disconnect to verify.

EDIT: nevermind...with the slide on, the trigger bar slides down properly so it doesn't end up bulging the side panel. It's almost like the cocking cam is oriented improperly. If I back off the trigger ever-so-slightly, it'll grab hold and cock the striker.

EDIT2: I see what the problem is now. After the striker is 'fired' the cam is not pivoting back like it should when the trigger bar disconnector tab is forced downward. Since it's not pivoting back, it's not grabbing onto the striker to recock it. This might be caused by the CA magazine disconnect bar, because when I drop the mag out (which drops the mag disconnect bar) the cam pivots back properly. Alternatively, if I manually push the trigger bar disconnector tab down, the cam will pop back so the issue could be here as well...

I have to push up on the magazines or I get a dead trigger also :-(

I had such high hopes for this pistol, way more accurate than my new J frame and old LCP. To bad no where near reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMex View Post
    I have to push up on the magazines or I get a dead trigger also :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMex View Post
    I had such high hopes for this pistol, way more accurate than my new J frame and old LCP. To bad no where near reliable.
    Will you try trouble shooting it and want suggestions to possible causes?
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>