Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: CM9 sight problem

Default CM9 sight problem

Upon returning from a trip to the range this morning I found my rear sight has come loose. I can slide it on and off with my fingers. Is there some kind of adhesive that will hold it in place? I sure don't want to send it in as it is my daily carry.
    Thanks for any help on this.

My first approach would probably be to set it upside down in like a padded vise or whatever you can come up with to hold it relatively secure.
    Then take a punch, a nail set will work or something with a point.
    Basically stipple the bottom of the sight. You'll displace metal creating high spots that will fill the dovetail better.
    You might even have to run it on a bit of sandpaper or a fine file to reduce the displaced metal in order to drive it back in.
    Not sure it makes a lot of difference but I put them in right to left as you look from the rear of the slide.

I've not heard of the CM rear sight going walk about before.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

What the Colonel said, and I usually add a small drop of Locktitie too.
    NRA Benefactor

Worked great.
    Thank you.

If it ever comes loose again go to NAPA and get some green Locktite retaining compound and it will stay put....The green stuff is extremely strong so never use it on something you may have to take apart again....
    Last edited by getsome; 10-03-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    If it ever comes loose again go to NAPA and get some green Locktite retaining compound and it will stay put....The green stuff is extremely strong so never use it on something you may have to take apart again....
    I'd be to tryin' red loctite first.
    NRA Benefactor

I did use a punch to stipple it and had some blue LocTite on hand and used it. It seems to be very solid. Time will tell.

I'm not totally convinced that loctite would be that effective in that application, but I could be totally off on this.

Seems like epoxy after thoroughly cleaning would be better, but mechanical (stippling) is by far the most effective in my book.

Also nothing to lose really. If it doesn't work, get a new sight, your not disfiguring the gun itself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Back in the late '80's, early 90's. I worked for an outfit that made a product to compete with Loctite. Pretty much a knock off. There is only one base material. Then fillers are added to make it thicker or weaker. The red and the green are both full strength, the green is very thin for post assembly "wicking" applications. The red is just thicker. The blue has additives to make it weaker than red. Purple is the weakest of all. The stuff is stronger than most folks realize. We used to put pins in collars with the stuff on it an then press them off and measure the force. Part of our QC testing.

I always use a dab of it on my sites now. I think some of the OEM's do too. You can tell when removing the sites. There is a noticeable "break" and then the site comes right out,
    without much effort.

The dimples create an interference fit, which is the old school way, and works well too. The loctite is just the chemical suspenders to go with the mechanical belt, so to speak.
    NRA Benefactor