Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife took my favorite 1911, so I got a new one!

Man, you crack me up!
    Seriously, I wish I read your post earlier. I just ordered grips for it, having always drooled over some starburst grips. Had I known, I would have got with you about making some wider!

Thats a sweet one there! I have an Ultra CDP ii that I got at a steal ($475) with a few rubs on the frame. This winter I will turn it into a polished jewel for my son. He currently shoots a Sig P238, but was eye balling that Kimber since I brought it home. I’ll post pics once I do it.
    Some say Kimbers suck, but I’ve had excellent running ones every time!!!!

Isn’t it funny? We are ok with something, but it’s not truly ok until the wife says it’s ok? Why isn’t my ok good enough? Lol! Been thinking about that one a lot lately! I better stop though, lest I get myself into some hot water! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    One of my favorite set of grips I made on a Kimber Pro Carry. This one a 45.

Wow! Those are a real masterpiece! I bet the owner was super happy. I’ve thought I’ve seen them all...

What a lesson (thanks for that) and what a collection of beauties you have! Man I had no idea. I’m glad I started this post. I thought that , other than the “proprietary” fraed stuff that they were all just Colt re pops. Thanks again for opening my eyes to this! BTW, your TRP got stared at for a bit, as drool ran down my chin. : ) You are good a choosing grips (on all) too.
    Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I'm not a fan either, only having a few more that you do Colonel darling.

FWIW, I've measured different makes of 1911 pistols (most recently, Colt, SA, and RIA) and found, with flat mainspring housings, they all are around two point zero something inches front to back. A noticeable difference is seen in where the contour for the front strap starts, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, and others start the contour further to the rear than SA, RIA, S&W, and others do. The latter group have a much more abrupt contour than the former and having the contour start further forward makes the side of the frame look larger. This is further exacerbated by the narrow grips BirdsThaWord has on his RO.

Kimber, Colt, SA - notice where the front strap contours start

While I prefer the more gradual contour, the abrupt one is not a deal breaker with me in regards to how they feel in hand. Cosmetic wise, I feel grips can make a big difference.
    Here's my 9mm RIA with it's stock grips:

...and with after market grips:

I think it looks better with the slightly wider after market grips.

As to Springers:
    I had a Range Officer and found it to a lot of pistol for the money. My one gripe with it was that they glue the ejector in place. This is not the end of the world, just something I don't like. My older Springer is drilled and pinned, so I had their custom shop do the same with my TRP. Speaking of which, the TRP's front strap has a more gradual contour than the others.

Enjoy your new 1911 BirdsThaWord!

Regards,
    Greg

Sadly the man I made those grips for, he was the father in law of one of our sgts has crossed the river. He gave them to him for Christmas as I recall some years back. He actually cried. He loved and had several German Short Hairs and apparently those grips just hit him. Made me so happy.
    He lived in California and we corresponded a lot after that, did some swapping and he gave me a few treasures.
    I'm working on buying a Hi Standard Supermatic Trophy that belonged to him. Sgt is selling it.
    After his passing the family gave me one half of that grip set, they kept the other half. I offered to just make another set but like they said it wouldn't be the same.
    Making the grips thinner like on your new example helps to give them a thin feel. I tend to cover the frame near completely and one has to make the grip pretty thin on the edges so they don't feel like a, well a Glock.

Haven't had time to make grips of late, working too much and nice weather. Maybe with winter coming on I'll be able to whittle out a few.

Kimbers used to suck but I think they have them figured out and sure don't hear the issues that we used to. I know they fought that external extractor for years and wouldn't admit defeat. S&W could do it just fine but they couldn't. Once they went back inside things started looking up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Sadly the man I made those grips for, he was the father in law of one of our sgts has crossed the river. He gave them to him for Christmas as I recall some years back. He actually cried. He loved and had several German Short Hairs and apparently those grips just hit him. Made me so happy.
    He lived in California and we corresponded a lot after that, did some swapping and he gave me a few treasures.
    I'm working on buying a Hi Standard Supermatic Trophy that belonged to him. Sgt is selling it.
    After his passing the family gave me one half of that grip set, they kept the other half. I offered to just make another set but like they said it wouldn't be the same.
    Making the grips thinner like on your new example helps to give them a thin feel. I tend to cover the frame near completely and one has to make the grip pretty thin on the edges so they don't feel like a, well a Glock.

Haven't had time to make grips of late, working too much and nice weather. Maybe with winter coming on I'll be able to whittle out a few.

Kimbers used to suck but I think they have them figured out and sure don't hear the issues that we used to. I know they fought that external extractor for years and wouldn't admit defeat. S&W could do it just fine but they couldn't. Once they went back inside things started looking up.
    Kimbers with the external extractor kind of sucked; as in some worked (my BP Ten II for instance) and some didn't.

Their early guns are an entirely different story. One could argue they were the best non custom 1911 pistols available during that period (and still top notch today).

People talk crap about the Series II guns (Schwartz safety, MIM parts, and barrels left in the white), but my TLE II has worked just as well as any other brand 1911 I own.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Wow, what a heart string tugging story behind those grips. It sounds like you have a great relationship with both your coworkers and their families. I would imagine yours to be a very (emotionally) rewarding career, given that you make those close connections. Those grips would have to be a masterpiece. I have seen some of the scrimshaw and some of the inlaid ones (bbq style) that have had me really applaud the skill and creativity of the makers. Those (yours) are certainly in that realm. I often whish I had both the skill and patience to do such things. I’m like you when it comes to my polishing projects in that I have to wait for it to cool down. That and the skeeter population has to head to wherever they go!
    Yes, I had heard the same about the Kimbers. I feel luck has been on my side with them. Only one gave me any issues, an Ultra TLE II, but it was kind of expected given the gaping hollow points I was trying to run in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Kimbers with the external extractor kind of sucked; as in some worked (my BP Ten II for instance) and some didn't.

Their early guns are an entirely different story. One could argue they were the best non custom 1911 pistols available during that period (and still top notch today).

People talk crap about the Series II guns (Schwartz safety, MIM parts, and barrels left in the white), but my TLE II has worked just as well as any other brand 1911 I own.
    Regards,
    Greg
    The Classic Custom I had (1988 build if I remember correct) was an amazingly well built, great running and accurate gun. Out of all of the govt sized 1911’s I’ve had in .45 it was my favorite. I really messed up, getting rid of it recently. That’s it in the pic behind the K9. I am already keeping my eyes open to find another. I should not have sold it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Range report...
    So, I am happy to say that I can shoot the springer as well as I can the wifes. Took me a few mags to sort out the poa and poi. That’s the good news. The bad news is that the mags are difficult to load past 6 rounds (will clean up follower edges to see if that helps) AND... Stovepipes and fte’s. Right now I’m blaming ammo and mags until I can try another another ammo, tuning the mags (or trying a Wilson/Chip/Tripp) and a clean up/lube. If that does not straighten things then I will start looking at the extractor, beyond the little round under it shake test when I clean and lube.
    Oh, and the new grips are on (pic shown, came in the mail after the range). Love the woodgrain and feels great in hand. Thanks yall!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images