CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife took my favorite 1911, so I got a new one!

Default Wife took my favorite 1911, so I got a new one!

I finally got my wife to move up from a .22 to a 9mm as her nightstand gun. I took her to the range and took only 9mm guns. I started her out on “Buttercup”, my Colt Competition 9mm. I then let her shoot a SA EMP 4, Colt Defender, K9, MK9 and finally my EDC, a M&P 9c (sweet Apex trigger). She pretty much hated everything but Buttercup (named cause it’s a softy). So, she shot it some more. She actually started getting a nice spread. So... she loved it and had to have it. I told her that’s ok, so long as I get the replacement I wanted. I found a good deal ($600) on a SA Range Officer 9mm in stainless. I had read some good reviews and wanted one in stainless so I could polish it.(I’ve had the compact before in blue). I’m a bit let down as I think the logo, etc is laser etched pretty shallow, preventing me from polishing without losing some of it. I will at least put some grips to dress it a bit. Funny thing is, I let the wife see how much easier it was to rack than the Colt, which she kind of struggles with, but she still wants the Colt.

I have not shot it yet. Anyone here have one? What do you think of yours? I’m hoping I can shoot it as well as the Colt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I owned one, a compact in .45. Sold it...................not much of a 1911 fan. Really don't care for the grip, the way they break down and go back together, PIMA. Rough on the hand. Ok for the money, but could be a bit better in quality. Just my 2 centavos..............

If you like it, that's all that counts. I do not care for Springfield 1911's, had a 4" SS Champion, traded it. To me it seems like the Springfield grip is longer front to back. See how much metal shows on each side of the grip. Just doesn't fell right to me.

Like I said, if you like, that's all that matters.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I owned one, a compact in .45. Sold it...................not much of a 1911 fan. Really don't care for the grip, the way they break down and go back together, PIMA. Rough on the hand. Ok for the money, but could be a bit better in quality. Just my 2 centavos..............
    What? I thought you got a Dan Wesson and were in love with the 1911 platform. Maybe I got my guys mixed up.

The Springfield I believe is a bit deeper through the grip. Auto Ordnance I believe is the same way.
    It's not terribly noticeable to me in the grip but making grips I don't want to use an AO for a model. The grip will be too large on the others.

I'm not really a 1911 fan, I was rearranging the other day, (got a second safe) and found I had 9. I don't think Greg is either, I think he has 27 or maybe 52, I can never keep track.
    Since I'm not a fan I'm kind of on the prowl for a 1911 9mm but it got pushed on the back burner, trying to fund a HI Standard 22 a sgt here has for sale.
    Want's never seem to end for me. Keep thinking this is it, I got it covered, but nooooooooo.....................
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I like my Kimber Pro Carry HD II in 38 Super a lot. It is my EDC pistol usually.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a RO in .45 and love it. And, no, I'm not selling or trading it. Took me long enough to talk the missus into letting me get another SA 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    I like my Kimber Pro Carry HD II in 38 Super a lot. It is my EDC pistol usually.
    One of my favorite set of grips I made on a Kimber Pro Carry. This one a 45.

In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    If you like it, that's all that counts. I do not care for Springfield 1911's, had a 4" SS Champion, traded it. To me it seems like the Springfield grip is longer front to back. See how much metal shows on each side of the grip. Just doesn't fell right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    What? I thought you got a Dan Wesson and were in love with the 1911 platform. Maybe I got my guys mixed up.

The Springfield I believe is a bit deeper through the grip. Auto Ordnance I believe is the same way.
    It's not terribly noticeable to me in the grip but making grips I don't want to use an AO for a model. The grip will be too large on the others.

I'm not really a 1911 fan, I was rearranging the other day, (got a second safe) and found I had 9. I don't think Greg is either, I think he has 27 or maybe 52, I can never keep track.
    Since I'm not a fan I'm kind of on the prowl for a 1911 9mm but it got pushed on the back burner, trying to fund a HI Standard 22 a sgt here has for sale.
    Want's never seem to end for me. Keep thinking this is it, I got it covered, but nooooooooo.....................
    I'm not a fan either, only having a few more that you do Colonel darling.

FWIW, I've measured different makes of 1911 pistols (most recently, Colt, SA, and RIA) and found, with flat mainspring housings, they all are around two point zero something inches front to back. A noticeable difference is seen in where the contour for the front strap starts, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, and others start the contour further to the rear than SA, RIA, S&W, and others do. The latter group have a much more abrupt contour than the former and having the contour start further forward makes the side of the frame look larger. This is further exacerbated by the narrow grips BirdsThaWord has on his RO.

Kimber, Colt, SA - notice where the front strap contours start

While I prefer the more gradual contour, the abrupt one is not a deal breaker with me in regards to how they feel in hand. Cosmetic wise, I feel grips can make a big difference.
    Here's my 9mm RIA with it's stock grips:

...and with after market grips:

I think it looks better with the slightly wider after market grips.

As to Springers:
    I had a Range Officer and found it to a lot of pistol for the money. My one gripe with it was that they glue the ejector in place. This is not the end of the world, just something I don't like. My older Springer is drilled and pinned, so I had their custom shop do the same with my TRP. Speaking of which, the TRP's front strap has a more gradual contour than the others.

Enjoy your new 1911 BirdsThaWord!

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Yes, I had the compact as well, and yes theynare a bit of a pita (paperclip). Whle I do have a few officers, I think most are a little easier without that recoil assembly they chose.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post

You know I did not notice that until you pointed it out (thanks a lot, Lol). I do wish the grips covered the frame better. I thought something was a bit off when looking at them, but could not put my thumb on it. Now I know! I thought they just needed newrps, thinking SA made narrow grips.
    Handling it, it feels great in hand to me though. I will see how she shoots this weekend. If a bit off, I will sell and search for another Colt Competition!