Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights

Thread: New TP 40

South Louisiana, East Texas, West Pennsylvania

Default New TP 40

Good morning. Got this TP a week ago and have spent much of that time staring through the barrel. (barrel not in gun) Looking for opinions. Back to Kahr? Shoot it first? The machine work on this gun is nowhere near as good as my PM 40. But the barrel is the worst part. The grinding job under the chamber hood first. The edge is sharp enough to cut and the metal left on the last step is too thin to be of any value. That corner on my PM is ground completely off so I see no reason for it to have to stay there. But isn't Kahr supposed to be endowed with a lot of fancy machine tools? Did they forget to bring them when they moved?
    The other issue is the bore. I do need some education regarding polygonal rifling. I have two other guns that have it. HK VP9 and PM 40. In the HK bore, the dull/shine (high/low) stripes are regular. Like a candy cane. In the PM 40 they are irregular. But the gun shoots like a dream. In the TP, they're extremely irregular. I also see scratches, not deep but visible, in random directions. Looking straight down the bore with a bore light in the opposite end, the TP bore is not shiny like all of my other guns regardless of the type of rifling. I did look at the gun before I accepted the transfer but I did not remove the packing gunk until I got it home. Oh, one other issue. The slide stop fit is a little loose. It has slipped out and blocked movement of the slide on 3 occasions while dry firing. It's not "falling out loose" when you line up the slide for removal. But it requires minimal finger pressure to get it out. Here are the pics. Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Don
    20181001_211357.jpg

IMG_0001B.jpg

Found answer to slidestop issue. Tighten or replace spring.
    Don

I'd shoot it first then see what issues remain.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Redfish - while there may indeed be nothing "wrong" with your barrel, it won't cost you a dime to talk to Kahr about it.

If you can, try to get a better picture (better lighting) on the chamber end to better show what you're talking about. You can send these pictures to Kahr when you talk to them as well.

As an FYI, Kahr hasn't moved their entire business to Greeley yet. The guns are still made up in Mass., but the plan is to eventually move everything to PA - or so I've been told.

Thanks guys. I am dying to shoot it. Posted it here first because, historically, Kahr has not been receptive to my offers of photos or such things as allowing me to include an aluminum magazine follower with a gun when sending it for service to show where the feed ramp is hitting it. But the answer is always "no" if you don't ask the question. So I will. Thanks again.

I wonder if something is going on at the Kahr factory. There has seemingly been an increase in stories posted here about bad quality control. Rails breaking, guns returned multiple times, etc.

I've been happy with mine, but my CW380 had to be returned to Kahr to make it work.