Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPEAK UP MK OWNERS! We need more grip options.

Yeah the inside is where all the work really is. So many different planes or levels that all have to be just right in order for them to fit perfectly.

I've gotten considerable faster after having done some but it's still a slow process. The frustrating part is to spend hours getting to the fit and then finding a nasty crack etc. I like stabilized wood for that reason but it's bloody expensive and the MK and K take a pretty large piece to start with, most of which is removed inside to get the fit.

Even the mounting holes are a challenge, getting them perfectly in the right spot and then countersunk to the right depth and that's one of the last steps. Spend a bunch of time and then mess up a mounting hole. Makes one curl up on the kitchen floor in a fatal position and suck ones thumb.
    http://bawanna45.wix.com/bawannas-grip-emporium#!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by brooks View Post
    At one time Bersa, Charter Arms, Llama and Star grips probably didn't sell or move enough volume either, but they are all listed as regular stock items on the huge maker Altamont's website. Kahr is just a good or better than a lot of sub compacts and is growing rapidly in popularity. Like I said earlier, the makers sure aren't going to make the MK grips if we don't speak up!
    The difference is that Bersa, Charter Arms, etc. sell a bunch of (inexpensive) pistols. There are an order or magnitude, or more, of those out there than the Kahrs. But, you can ask all you want. The grip manufacturers know the potential market sizes.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've slimmed down several of the Kahr grips. They are very nice but always seem a bit thick to me and others apparently. Doesn't take a lot to give them a much slimmer feel and they look better too. Nobody likes fat grips.

This is exactly my problem. I've got the Kahr wooden grips, and even bought some fancy 1911 custom screws for them. But they are just too damn thick. Especially with my smallish hands, and even more so when I try to carry AIWB. If I had an ounce of handyman in my DNA I would try to rectify it, but I know I'll just mess them up.

I just switched back to my Lakeline grips, which feel great, fit great, and carry great. But I am old school, and really prefer wood on steel if I can get it.

I like the Crimson Trace LG-461 laser grips for the MK's. They make the grip just a bit thicker and aren't as slick as the factory grips. Hard to find, but they are out there if you watch ebay. I've tried Hogue grips and the Lakeline G10's, but find the CT grips just fit my hand better.

What Hogue grips?
    Glock 23
    CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22
    LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A
    Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y
    Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y
    Kahr MK9
    Kel-Tec KSG
    Smith &Wesson M686+

The factory grips are Hogue but one can't buy them from Hogue.
    I wish they would offer the old style soft rubber grips like the early models. They were/are really nice. Both my K's were early enough to come with them.
    The MK I borrow didn't make the cut and came with the hard plastic, not nearly as nice.
    http://bawanna45.wix.com/bawannas-grip-emporium#!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    What Hogue grips?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The factory grips are Hogue but one can't buy them from Hogue.
    I wish they would offer the old style soft rubber grips like the early models. They were/are really nice. Both my K's were early enough to come with them.
    The MK I borrow didn't make the cut and came with the hard plastic, not nearly as nice.
    Exactly that, old style grips that were on somebody else's MK before I bought them. Not as soft as some, but definitely softer than the regular factory grips of today.