Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Xssights

Thread: Are recent CM45s (2017-2018) better than earlier ones?

Default Are recent CM45s (2017-2018) better than earlier ones?

Am interested in buying a CM45, and have been checking the web for comments good and bad about the gun. The negative comments (re issues) about the gun have given me some doubts about the purchase, but the number/frequency of negative posts have seemed to have tailed off during the last couple of years. I am wondering if Kahr has made some improvements in the model (for example, better springs or whatever) which might account for the apparent drop in negatives, or have owners of problem samples simply stopped redundant postings?

I can only speak for mine, a 2012 purchase. I probable haven't put more than 300 rounds through it, but it has been perfect so far. In fact, it's the pistol I carry about 80% of the time. I had the same experience with a PM45 I owned for six years, but was stolen in 2011. The theft was hardly the gun's fault.

Other than the CM = cheaper manufacturing, what’s the major difference in the pm version? I know it’s the barrel and slide machining. I’ve had two PM45’s with more than 15k rounds between them. One is the original version and the other is the current. I consider them the best plastic pistols Kahr offers. 100% reliable. Kahr’s 45 acp offerings don’t get the recognition they deserve. I’d look at the PM version you get extra mags and dovetailed sights. My EDC, conditions permitting.

I'm not getting the negative reviews. I don't recall hardly any issues with any of the 45's.
    Other than the short frame issue on the CW's which Greg identified I don't remember any other repeat issues.

I have a PM45, had it for years without issue. If I was shopping (I'm always shopping I'd probably look hard at the CW45.
    But I wouldn't give up my PM, it's a keeper.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default Followup

Quote Originally Posted by johnchap2 View Post
    Am interested in buying a CM45, and have been checking the web for comments good and bad about the gun. The negative comments (re issues) about the gun have given me some doubts about the purchase, but the number/frequency of negative posts have seemed to have tailed off during the last couple of years. I am wondering if Kahr has made some improvements in the model (for example, better springs or whatever) which might account for the apparent drop in negatives, or have owners of problem samples simply stopped redundant postings?
    There are other models of other manufacturers who have received fewer posted negatives about encountered issues, but I am looking for a pocket pistol size .45 auto. The well rated XDS 3.3 single stack seems to be the closest in size but it is 3/4" longer. Not quite a pocket pistol. I had zero issues with my CM9, but a lot of issues with my CW380 (had to send to Kahr for correction), which I would prefer not to repeat with something I might need to rely on to protect my life. Adding to the mix is the recommended 200 round break-in period. 9mm is cheap whereas .45 Auto is not.

Current industry professionals also seem to question whether .45auto offers much if anything over 9mm with +P ammo. All that aside, I am still interested inhe CM45.

Couple things, technology has been working for years to make the 9mm do what the 45 has done for 100 years.

Every gun needs a break in, only Kahr and a few others are up front with it. Personally I don't feel comfy with a carry gun till it's seen 4 or 500. That's not only for the gun but to mate me with the gun, get comfy with the controls etc.

I don't put a whole lot of faith in internet negative reviews, I certainly note them but you have to remember there are people that shouldn't be anywhere without walk and don't walk signs. Many often hang operator error issues on the gun instead of themselves.

The 380 did have teething problems since day one and still apparently has issues although many fewer than in years past. Course to me a pocketful of pebbles is about as effective as a 380 so I don't really pay much attention to those. There are those that swear by them and that's ok.

I honestly don't think you'll have any issues with a CM45. Any manufacturer can put out a bad one now and then and you have to play the game if that happens and that's not fun but if it happens Kahr will take care of it.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Couple things, technology has been working for years to make the 9mm do what the 45 has done for 100 years.

Every gun needs a break in, only Kahr and a few others are up front with it. Personally I don't feel comfy with a carry gun till it's seen 4 or 500. That's not only for the gun but to mate me with the gun, get comfy with the controls etc.

I don't put a whole lot of faith in internet negative reviews, I certainly note them but you have to remember there are people that shouldn't be anywhere without walk and don't walk signs. Many often hang operator error issues on the gun instead of themselves.

The 380 did have teething problems since day one and still apparently has issues although many fewer than in years past. Course to me a pocketful of pebbles is about as effective as a 380 so I don't really pay much attention to those. There are those that swear by them and that's ok.

I honestly don't think you'll have any issues with a CM45. Any manufacturer can put out a bad one now and then and you have to play the game if that happens and that's not fun but if it happens Kahr will take care of it.
    ---------------------------------------
    Well, a 380 with +P ammo is near comparable to a .38 spc, which was a standard police issue for many years. And the 380 is small enough that it can be concealed even when a CM9 cannot be. The most reliable is my sw j-frame. No FTE FTL and no jams. Bad cartridge? Pull the trigger again. Negative is 6.25" long, 1.25" wide, and slow reloads even with strips or speed loaders. Still, a pocket pistol with cargo pants and similar. Oh! And no break-in needed. Other neg is not the stopping power of 9mm +P .

Yet your still interested in the 45?? Bottom line is whatever works for you.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

John you talked me into a revolver that takes 9mm. Ruger makes a pocket size.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    John you talked me into a revolver that takes 9mm. Ruger makes a pocket size.
    The April 2018 issue of "Concealed Carry" magazine contains an excellent article by one of its editors who conducted empirical tests comparing .38 Spc vs 9mm vs .357 magnum. He used Ruger LGx revolvers in each of calibers What surprised him was that the 9mm "performance more closely mimicked that of the .357 . He had expected the .38 and 9mm to more similar to each other.