Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Slide sticking half way closed when empty

Default PM9 Slide sticking half way closed when empty

Hi all, first time posting. I have a pm9 serial number vb6xxx. I purchased new quite a while ago. Approx round count 3-5 hundred rounds of 115 grain range ammo. It never functioned as well as I liked for concealed carry so it got put back in the safe with the intention of figuring it out in the future. Well the future is now. I was going through the safe and found the box in the back. Took the gun out detail stripped, cleaned it and figured I'd finally get to the bottom of the issue. Went and attempted to shoot it. It has always had a problem chambering the first and sometimes second round out of a mag. The problems persisted. Out of six rounds I had 1 ftf and two light strikes. I decided to take it to a gun shop to see if they had any ideas. It was there that I was informed that there seems to be a hitch in the slide on the way foreward. You can get it to stick half way closed. I have created a video and uploaded to youtube so I could share. If anyone has any advice as to what could be the problem please advise. If more pictures are needed I can upload also.

I think this has been discussed before and it is due to not being quite assembled right. Check to see if the firing pin is sticking out when it should not be. Somewhere in the owners manual is addresses that problem. However that may not be your problem. Wait for others to address this situation and they will tell you what is causing the drag. It will be an easy fix with the right information and is not because of a defect.

I think Greg can answer this problem, (gb6491)

02D3C262-0F5A-4D2C-9CC1-0A8CB40A7156.jpg
    Hi, I just picked up a used PM9 VB3xxx. I would field strip the thing and see if your barrel will move freely within the frame. See the pic. Other than catching when riding over the hood, you should be able to slide it back and forth easily. Check the recoil spring assembly to make sure it functions smoothly and looks like mine.
    Re ftf: I had trouble feeding HST rounds but I modified the followers and all appears well...at least on the 6 round mags. I ordered a couple metal followers from Lakeline tonight so I can feel warm and fuzzy about the PM9. I normally carry a Sig P365 or my P380, so the PM9 is just a fun gun. Other than that it has feed and fired all fmj without issue. Let us know what you find.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    I think this has been discussed before and it is due to not being quite assembled right. Check to see if the firing pin is sticking out when it should not be. Somewhere in the owners manual is addresses that problem. However that may not be your problem. Wait for others to address this situation and they will tell you what is causing the drag. It will be an easy fix with the right information and is not because of a defect.

I think Greg can answer this problem, (gb6491)

There is nothing for the striker to drag on if the mag is empty.

ladrhog, welcome to the forums

In regards to your PM9, here's my first thought:
    If you look at your barrel, there is a "ring" just in front of the chamber area. It is usually more full at the top, so look for it there. Once you've found it (and looking at it from the muzzle end), check the ring at it's 3:00 and 9:00 o'clock for any indication that the slide has been rubbing on it. You might check the slide as well (put the barrel in the slide and push it forward while tilting the breech down, check the area where it stops).
    If you find any evidence of wear/contact in the areas described above, you might consider creating a little clearance by filing/polishing/grinding the ring where the contact occurs.
    Some of my barrels (like the one below) came from the factory with some rather crude grinding done to them to provide clearance.

The above is just a suggestion, not a how to: so sending it to Kahr for repair should always be considered.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Here are some pictures of my barrel and slide.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Are the first two pictures the top of the chamber hood?

If so it looks like it's peening and might warrant a trip back to Kahr. Haven't seen that in a long time.

I had a K40 that did that, ended up with a new barrel and slide.

Chime in Greg, I could be way off as usual.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Are the first two pictures the top of the chamber hood?

If so it looks like it's peening and might warrant a trip back to Kahr. Haven't seen that in a long time.

I had a K40 that did that, ended up with a new barrel and slide.

Chime in Greg, I could be way off as usual.
    I agree Bawanna. Looking at the photos ladrhog posted it does appear that the locking surface has abnormal wear.
    Time to send that puppy back for parts replacement and proper fitting.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>