Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New K9 owner, with questions

My K9 seized up once from lack of lubrication. Perhaps it was dirty and dry?

Quote Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
    .... Anyone have out of battery firing on their K9?

Not with mine.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    My K9 seized up once from lack of lubrication. Perhaps it was dirty and dry?
    I had previously stripped it, scrubbed it clean, and lubed it so that wasn't an issue.

I'd estimate we put ~100 - 150 rounds thru it and only had 1 hiccup with that weird ammo issue, which occurred very early in the K9 range use.

ALG's Go Juice is a very high grade lube made for guns of all sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    You can accelerate the manual break-in process by lubricating the K9 with "honing oil", sometimes called "sharpening oil", which is used on sharpening stones. While it is an oil, it does not protect against wear and actually polishes metal on metal surfaces, like pistol slides, barrels, steel guide rods, with motion. You can actually observe the polishing action which is surprisingly quick. It also works on the trigger mechanism and the drop safety. When using this on the cams of the trigger mechanism, you can pull the trigger until it is just short of releasing so you can quickly do many pulls. At some point, you will want to pull fully to release the striker. It may be controversial, but I think it helps to put some honing oil into the striker channel to polish the metal on metal striker parts. Usually it will make the sliding parts slightly harder to move initially and then it becomes easier. You can feel this happening. When finished, this oil should be wiped off the gun and you will be able to see the metal that has been polished away. i have done this on several guns and have never observed any problems and the moving parts were remarkably smooth.

This oil is usually USDA food safe, apparently because it may be used on kitchen knives, and may be water soluble. It is easily removed with dish detergent or alcohol and then gun oil or grease should be applied to the moving parts. It is also useful in sharpening hair clippers, beard trimmers, electric shavers, etc. Just clean any old lubricant then put a few drops on the blades and run the mechanism for a few seconds. Be sure to check the appearance of the blades before and after and replace the sharpening oil with the proper lubricant.
    Excellent advice! I will have to get some and give it a whirl. Thanks!