Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: Kahr P380 cannot remove slide on dissembly

Default Kahr P380 cannot remove slide on dissembly

Just got back from the range with my Kahr P380. Ran 300 rounds through it flawlessly. However, when I tried to dissemble it the slide would not come off all the way. I have dissembled this pistol many times without issue. Please see pics.

You've pulled the trigger and tried holding it down while pushing the slide off?

Can you pull the slide back into battery and start over?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Push down the cam/sear thingy to let the slide pass over them as you move it to the rear and work the trigger to lower that moon-shaped thing on the top right side of the frame. Part of that can stick up too high.

I took my P380 out of its holster, removed the magazine, racked the chambered round out, and cleared it before working the action to refresh my memory. It's a good thing that I did. The recoil spring guide rod and the slide lock pin were rusty and transferring rust to everything! I took the pistol apart and and sprayed everything well with my Tetra oil and then wiped everything clean and dry before applying oil and grease and re-assembly... sure needed a little TLC. I wear it all of the time around the house and for short trips and for max concealment... really my EDC. I prefer my P40, but this one is handy as I'm always carrying it.

I'm sure working/wiggling the trigger a bit will solve your problem.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I'd have to take mine apart to be sure if I am remembering this the correct way, but I seem to recall having a problem with this with both my current or previous P380. In both cases, the recoil guide was having trouble popping in and out of the little pocket built into the polymer frame. In most cases, just using a bit more force did the trick...sometimes I just use a tabletop to brace the frame against when pushing. It got so bad on my first P380 that I had to trim the polymer a bit to open up the throat of that pocket.

Yeah, what boscobarbell said. While firing, some polymer built up in front of the recoil rod making it difficult to field strip. I trimmed it away and never a problem since.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm