Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop

Thread: Mag release problem?

South Louisiana, East Texas, West Pennsylvania

Default Mag release problem?

Actually it's a thumb problem. Short fingers. Can't push a button type mag release without shifting the gun in my hand. And then I use the side of the first joint to push it. The one on my new TP 40 is especially difficult. I know it will loosen up with use but the one on my PM has a good bit of use on it and I still have to flip it in my hand to push it. Kahrs are more difficult for me to push than my double stacks because of the grip contour. The same grip contour that feels so good in my hand and makes the trigger so easy to reach. Best case for me so far is the paddle type on my VP-9 and I have to push it with my trigger finger. It works well. But it's not a Kahr. Something I've tried is bringing my support hand up with replacement mag already in it, pushing the button with it, and then replacing the mag. Not great but I know I can do it faster with practice. Anybody know of a way to put a mag release extension on a Kahr?
    Don

I have small hands and have to rotate most any gun in my hand to reach the mag release. We got a bunch of mag release extensions at work to try on our Glock 21's. The theory is good but in practice they don't work. Your thumb can reach it better and it's a larger more positive target for the thumb but if you push the back part, main reason for it in the first place your putting it into a bind. Most wanted them on and after shooting with them had me take them off.

Your idea of using our support hand with mag in hand is sound, I just accept that I have to rotate it, and move on.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Can't help but think that 1/32 inch more protrusion would help. But I guess you're right. I know my fingers are not unique. Other people out there dealing with it. Just do what works best. Will keep using left hand to drop the magazine and see how good I can get at it. Thanks.

Two thoughts, build it up with resin then shape and finish or remove the part and weld/braze a nub then shape and finish. It is a steel part.

I've done more difficult fixes with epoxy. Don't know why it never occurred to me to use it here. I'm going to work more on fixing my technique. If I can't get where I want to be with it, I can add a little height to it with thickened epoxy. Thanks.

One of our members had his gunsmith drill and tap the mag release and put a button head cap screw in to give more height.

He seems to like it.

I just move my grip since I have to make room for the mag to clear my palm anyway.

[QUOTE=Ed M;402723]One of our members had his gunsmith drill and tap the mag release and put a button head cap screw in to give more height.

That would work. And would be easier to undo if needed than epoxy although I'd probably end up just replacing the release if I needed to undo the work using either method.
    Thanks.