Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: delete

Default delete

delete
    Last edited by brooks; 02-24-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Few forum member seemed to think calling on grip makers to offer grips for the MK model was an viable endever.

The problem is that Kahr grips don't sell. There isn't enough volume. The grip makers know this. The volume of MKs versus CZs, Sigs, or you name it, is tiny. Just saying.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

I'll never understand this to modify things just to change them. Personally, the stock grips on my MK40 are fine - I see no need to change them. I've got the stock grips on all my pistols and I have no problem with any of them. I see the same thing on the auto forums. I keep my cars stock. If I don't like something about a car, I just buy one more to my liking.

The answer is probably from a grip maker, not Kahr.

I would like some nice wood grips on mine.

With the nice 1911 wooden grips around, this could be done by rescaling MK grips.

I believe at present there are at least 4 different frame configurations. They are not going to change their tooling for something that there is no demand for. Just isn't financially feasible. You can bug them until your blue in the face. You're fighting an uphill battle. It's why I am forced to use a grip glove.

I've got Lakeline grips on mine. They're great!

Quote Originally Posted by brooks View Post
    We are getting closer to the new year of 2019. And still no new grip offerings are being made for the MK! I've e-mailed most of the major grip makers Ajax, Altamont, Culina, VZ and a few of the custom independent makers, but none so far are offering grips. It would be terrific if Altamont or VZ would come out with an offering. I have VZ 'Gator Back' Micarta grips on my 1911 now. They are wonderful.
    Please everyone call or e-mail VZ and Altamont, maybe it will do some good. They surely aren't going to give us options if we don't speak up! By the way, its no big deal if you have a GA prefix frame, any competent guy on a mill can make a cut in the frame at the screw hole to match the frame of the later made prefix models for a minimal fee.
    Then it will accept any grip and you will never see the cut underneath the grip panel. It will be just like it came from Kahr that way!

I like the wood grips Kahr sells. It would be nice if there were options for walnut, maple, or another hardwood. The Lakeline G10 grips are nice, but not to my taste.

What Kahr should do is bring sell the Hogue RUBBER grips that used to come on the K9 for all their steel framed pistols.

I've slimmed down several of the Kahr grips. They are very nice but always seem a bit thick to me and others apparently. Doesn't take a lot to give them a much slimmer feel and they look better too. Nobody likes fat grips.

I've often wished I could get a bunch cut to fit the gun and then let me play with them. They probably do 20 or more an hour on a CNC machine or something, takes me a whole day just to get them hanging on the gun, then I have to shape the outside etc.

Wait, I'll ring up HarryLee, he'll probably have a solution.....why didn't I think of that before.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've slimmed down several of the Kahr grips. They are very nice but always seem a bit thick to me and others apparently. Doesn't take a lot to give them a much slimmer feel and they look better too. Nobody likes fat grips.

I've often wished I could get a bunch cut to fit the gun and then let me play with them. They probably do 20 or more an hour on a CNC machine or something, takes me a whole day just to get them hanging on the gun, then I have to shape the outside etc.

Wait, I'll ring up HarryLee, he'll probably have a solution.....why didn't I think of that before.
    Now I’m assuming they need some sort of back cutting. I do have a CNC router I built some years back but haven’t use in some time. Sometimes in my mind it’s easier to make a jig and hand rout the piece, don’t have an MK to work with. It's doable but need all parts in hand to achieve. I’ve worked with so many materials and they all have their own characteristic, but I love wood the most to craft a piece.
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

Yeah the inside is where all the work really is. So many different planes or levels that all have to be just right in order for them to fit perfectly.

I've gotten considerable faster after having done some but it's still a slow process. The frustrating part is to spend hours getting to the fit and then finding a nasty crack etc. I like stabilized wood for that reason but it's bloody expensive and the MK and K take a pretty large piece to start with, most of which is removed inside to get the fit.

Even the mounting holes are a challenge, getting them perfectly in the right spot and then countersunk to the right depth and that's one of the last steps. Spend a bunch of time and then mess up a mounting hole. Makes one curl up on the kitchen floor in a fatal position and suck ones thumb.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."