Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The MK9 is a very good target pistol

Default The MK9 is a very good target pistol

I took my MK9 to the range this morning. It's such a pleasure to shoot I hate to see it sitting unused in the safe. I also took my P9, which I've had since 2001 or so. The MK9, as we all know, is very small. 50 years ago, a gun this size would have been a .380 or a .32. But this little hulk fires 9mm.

Every time I shoot it I am amazed at how accurate it is. Range was full today. Shooter with varying CCW and duty handguns. Nobody was shooting tight groups. My MK9 was putting all the rounds into a single hole at 10 yards. And doing it until the hole was big enough to shoot through. I shot the MK9 as well as I did my Glock 17L, and the two could be no more different. The MK9 is the size of a PPK and the 17L is bigger than a Government Model. All Kahrs are accurate. All Kahrs have great triggers. But the polymer Kahrs aren't a lot of fun to shoot for extended periods. I put 200 rounds through the MK9 and my hand feels fine.

The trigger is so smooth and light that i can't anticipate the break so I just hold still and pulllllllll then BANG! The front sight doesn't dip when I hit the wall because there is no wall. I think if people who are skeptical about the trigger spent some time with it they would be surprised how accurate the trigger is once you unlearn old habits.

Ol' Redeye had a really bad day.

While I totally agree that a silky smooth Kahr trigger helps accuracy, the shooter must also do his/her part.

You, my friend, MORE than do your part.

If the SHTF, I'd be happy to hide behind you and hand you full mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Ol' Redeye had a really bad day.

While I totally agree that a silky smooth Kahr trigger helps accuracy, the shooter must also do his/her part.

You, my friend, MORE than do your part.

If the SHTF, I'd be happy to hide behind you and hand you full mags.

Thanks, Ed. If the targets are no more than 15 yards away and are holding perfectly still, I got us. If they're farther than that we need to run away. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    The trigger is so smooth and light that i can't anticipate the break so I just hold still and pulllllllll then BANG! The front sight doesn't dip when I hit the wall because there is no wall. I think if people who are skeptical about the trigger spent some time with it they would be surprised how accurate the trigger is once you unlearn old habits.
    This is a great point, and something I've been contemplating lately as a I've been shooting a variety pistols.

My MK9 reminded me what I liked about smooth, long trigger pulls (what too many shooters refer to as "mushy"). Maybe because I learned to shoot with revolvers, and later carried DAO Sigs and Beretta for years, I learned to focus on that front sight and just pull through the trigger stroke. To me, that "breaking glass" striker wall is counterintuitive, and makes me tend to anticipate my shots.

My MK9 lead me to try the H&K LEM trigger, which quickly became my favorite "bigger gun" trigger system (I now own both a P200sk and P30 in that set-up). And, of course, I have the P380 for light clothing days. The added benefit, of course, is that these somewhat longer triggers afford an additional layer of safety.

p.s. Good shooting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    This is a great point, and something I've been contemplating lately as a I've been shooting a variety pistols.

My MK9 reminded me what I liked about smooth, long trigger pulls (what too many shooters refer to as "mushy"). Maybe because I learned to shoot with revolvers, and later carried DAO Sigs and Beretta for years, I learned to focus on that front sight and just pull through the trigger stroke. To me, that "breaking glass" striker wall is counterintuitive, and makes me tend to anticipate my shots.

My MK9 lead me to try the H&K LEM trigger, which quickly became my favorite "bigger gun" trigger system (I now own both a P200sk and P30 in that set-up). And, of course, I have the P380 for light clothing days. The added benefit, of course, is that these somewhat longer triggers afford an additional layer of safety.

p.s. Good shooting!!!

I shoot the Kahr trigger for accuracy better than any other, except for my 686. I like the staginess of the trigger----smooth uptake to the wall, then I exhale half my breath, steady, then a crisp break. I also shoot Glocks and they're great for shooting rapidly but the triggers on mine aren't great in any way. Mushy crunchy pull, crisp break, but an excellent reset. It sucks that I will have to spend even more money to improve the trigger when my MK9 is perfect out of the box.

p.s. Thanks. Sometimes the rounds go where I want them to.

REALLY nice shootin'!!!

My larger Kahr T9 is just like that -- awesome trigger and super accurate! And you can shoot it all day with no fatigue.

But it's 1.5X the size of your MK9...........

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Quote Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
    REALLY nice shootin'!!!

My larger Kahr T9 is just like that -- awesome trigger and super accurate! And you can shoot it all day with no fatigue.

But it's 1.5X the size of your MK9...........

Old No7

Thank you, sir. My T9 shoots groups just like that. The MK9 is just so impressive to me because it's so small yet shoots like a big pistol. Kahr really nailed it with the MK series. It's a dense little handful of awesomeness.

“Dense little handful of awesomeness.” I’m stealing that quote...

Nice shooting!

I like mine.

I did a lot of reading and investigating the MK9 before purchasing one. Sight unseen(just a pic) and never handled one in person. I was basically shocked by the feel of the trigger. Grew up shooting revolvers but never felt anything so easy and smooth, at least on my MK. It's what makes the gun, and most other firearms, you would have to spend money to get a trigger like that. Owned it now for about 8+ years. Use it for main carry. Prefer the dot the eye sights. Smooth shooter for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images