Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: PM9 slide stop lever won't engage, then slide stuck to the rear without barrel/spring

Default PM9 slide stop lever won't engage, then slide stuck to the rear without barrel/spring

I can't be the first person to do this, but I've been searching the Internet for an hour and all the other threads I can find are stuck slides with barrels and recoil springs in them and the slide stuck somewhere else.

I'm an armorer on 1911s, Glocks, XDs, ARs, AKs, and M14s, so I figured if I watched closely I couldn't break it!

I've been watching videos and reading countless threads on the popular issue of the slide stop not engaging, but mine seems to have a perfect spring, screw, washer, and snugness. I even bought brand new parts from Kahr and have them here, and everything looks perfect. But even manually, I can not get the slide stop lever to go up into position to lock the slide back. So I decided to test how far back the slide can go with and without the recoil spring assembly. The pistol's history from previous owner is that it was once assembled backward and they had to get a new spring assembly, after all kinds of other mucking around with it.

So I take the recoil spring assembly and barrel out of the slide, and otherwise assemble as normal with the slide stop in place and I make a mark on the slide to show me how far back it needs to go for the slide stop to rise into position like it should, and it does. I then take out the slide stop lever to disassemble it again, only now it won't disassemble. It hangs up going forward and has springiness to it, like it is catching on the striker, but no amount of trigger-pulling seems to have any effect.

My next theory is that I will have to remove the firing pin while the slide is still attached to the frame. This is what I am currently researching, but I thought I'd post this for ideas while I do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    ...My next theory is that I will have to remove the firing pin while the slide is still attached to the frame...
    So that worked. Now I can go back to test slide travel again. I'll leave thread here for any future searches.

And now that I have confirmed slide travel as the culprit, some Internet searches are saying a replacement spring being too long is a common issue, so I will do the 1/2 coil at a time thing until it works.

Sounds like somehow the slide stop is under the spring rather than on top of it. Without the barrel and recoil spring it was right, with it not so much.

Only thing I can think of if we're talking about what I think we're talking about.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

1/2 coil did the trick. Mostly. I might take off another 1/4 later after using it a while. Thanks, guys. I couldn't have done it without you!

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    1/2 coil did the trick. Mostly. I might take off another 1/4 later after using it a while. Thanks, guys. I couldn't have done it without you!
    Great you were able to figure it out. I'm thinking it might have been stuck originally because of this:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...de-to-come-off Check post #23
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm