Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco83 View Post
Thanks MrBlackCat, they are all factory mags however the two with issues are older "95" marker as opposed to the "08" marked ones that are working better. My thoughts went to springs because the newer ones have springs that are much stiffer, which I thought might be making the difference. Wouldn't the mag catch spring be the spring for the button for the mag catch itself though?
Yes, the Magazine Catch Spring absolutely is for the button return itself. Sorry about that. I am simply wrong on that one. I found the springs I have for the catch in the magazine follower, four in a bag, but the bag is not marked with any number or identification, other than a Magnum Research logo bag. I have no idea when I got them, but I have never needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco83
I'll have to pull out the slide lock lever and inspect it for wear, but it does seem to be sitting flush. I wonder if it could somehow just be slightly shorter than it should be. The entire gun looks like it's barely been shot so I'd be really surprised if parts were worn out.
I wouldn't bother... if it is bent enough to cause the issue I described, it is pretty obvious.

I realize now you are talking about the actual magazine follower springs. You can test this by swapping one of your new ones for one of the old ones of course. Only takes a second to change them. You can also compare them when you have them both out. If the older ones are like an inch shorter, they are likely getting weak enough to cause issues.

I just pulled a couple of 44 Magazine springs and they measure 6-1/2 inches. New ones measured 7 inches. I have no issues with them at these lengths even with 300gr projectiles. That might give you a reference to check from.

Chances are that if you can feel much difference between the strength of the springs between magazines, then they may need replacing. I don't replace mine until there are issues with function, and they can really get squished a bit over time, but still function. I have 357 Magnum springs right at one inch shorter than new, and they still function fine... but 357 is a lot lighter round to lift than 44 Magnum.

Let us know what you find!

MrBlackCat