CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus

Default Taurus

I've a little Taurus model 85. It's an older gun with the large upper side plate screw (reminiscent of the 5 screw Smiths). It's been a wonderful little gun for me. I once held an impromptu shoot out of my snubbies and shot the 85 the best that day. It can more than hold it's own.

However, it's not the main focus of my post. Visiting my favorite local gun shop, I found they had a pretty much pristine Taurus model 431 of the shelf. Outside fit and finish is as good as many of the S&W revolvers I've owned over the years. Lockup is solid, timing is right on, the DA is smooth, and the SA is crisp with no creep. The only way I can see to test the durability of it, is to buy it and a $289 price tag helped with that decision. Did I mention the the 431 is chambered in .44 Special?

The Uncle Mike's rubber grips it came with make shooting "Cowboy" loads quite enjoyable. Speaking of which, once I figured out the elevation with the particular load the shop had on hand, it seems to shoot well enough at ten yards (excepting, of course, operator error ).

While the rubber grips make for soft shooting, I don't find them as pleasing to the eye as grips made from other materials. I found a nice set of wood grips on Ebay and have them installed now. I need to make a range visit with them, but I think they will do just fine.

Regards,
    Greg

Forgot to mention that I picked up a nice metal poster at the swap meet this weekend.
    Last edited by gb6491; 12-11-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Another great find to add to the collection. Love the metal poster too, that's awesome.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A couple of nice Tauri there, Greg. Have you considered posting the photos and description over at taurusarmed.net? A great group of gun fans (all brands) over there.
    Last edited by 68Firebird; 12-11-2018 at 05:31 PM.

That's a beautiful firearm! My S&W 67 came with those grips (or ones that look just like them), I like them well enough that I haven't even considered changing them.

Off topic, is that creamer in your coffee? Seems sacrileges for a Gunny to drink any thing that is isn't hot, black, and thick enough to float a horseshoe in. This is coming for an old Salty Dog, that still likes it straight from the pot.
    NRA Benefactor

Probably some sort of mix for Parkerizing left over. Don't want to waste it so he drinks it.

Most folks don't like my coffee, I like it pretty full flavored, not just colored water.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

No knowledge regarding today's production but those older Taurus revolvers were very nice guns.
    NRA Benefactor

I’m finding that nice handguns less than $300 are hard to pass up recently.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Full house magnum coffee for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Another great find to add to the collection. Love the metal poster too, that's awesome.
    I really like the poster myself!

Quote Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
    A couple of nice Tauri there, Greg. Have you considered posting the photos and description over at taurusarmed.net? A great group of gun fans (all brands) over there.
    Thanks! I did post some photos there in a thread about 431 grips. I keep seeing recommendations for medium frame grips, but mine definitely takes large frame grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    That's a beautiful firearm! My S&W 67 came with those grips (or ones that look just like them), I like them well enough that I haven't even considered changing them.
    Thanks!
    They are nice grips for shooting and the look isn't bad. I just preferred something else, but I can see why you stick with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Off topic, is that creamer in your coffee? Seems sacrileges for a Gunny to drink any thing that is isn't hot, black, and thick enough to float a horseshoe in. This is coming for an old Salty Dog, that still likes it straight from the pot.
    LOL, it's half and half...a habit I picked up when I made Master Gunnery Sergeant. I did take it black when I was a young Gunny, but as a Master Gunny folks know what you are about and you hardly ever need to raise your voice. You're just naturally more urbane; like half and half in your coffee...or is that Bailey's. Sergeant Majors, on the other hand, still have something to prove and are guzzling their swill black while still barking at folks.
    No disrespect to Old Salts intended, Marine Corps Sergeant Majors will know the deal
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Probably some sort of mix for Parkerizing left over. Don't want to waste it so he drinks it.

Most folks don't like my coffee, I like it pretty full flavored, not just colored water.
    Yep, no wasting that. I keep the solution in a big plastic Arizona Tea bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    No knowledge regarding today's production but those older Taurus revolvers were very nice guns.
    I have to agree, especially where this one is concerned (circa 1992).
    Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I’m finding that nice handguns less than $300 are hard to pass up recently.
    Me too boss

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Full house magnum coffee for me, too.
    Special coffee for me

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>