Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for collectors with gray , or no hair

I've already given away a number of my guns to my son and a few to give to his son. After I croak the choice of what he want's is his. The rest my wife can sell. None of this is in my will as I don't want them included in the estate. I keep a current record of my guns in "MY GUN BOOK" complete with photos, serial numbers, values, etc. My brother's, both without kids, will probably leave their guns to my son too. He stands to inherit quite a collection. Some of the collection has been assigned special "Heirloom" status and come with a letter stating their value to family history and a request to keep the in the family.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post

What and how are you guys and gals planning to distribute or sell your guns when it comes time assuming they will not be really treasured by your family at your passing ........
    This is something I addressed two years ago, driven by onset of medical issues you and many/most long time regulars here know about. Many firearms, I think the number still hovers about 45 to 50. Where they go was a no brainer that I simply made explicit. They all pass to my wife, with the understanding my son and my sister and BIL/Cousin may have whatever they need or want after any my wife feels attached to. She's also of course free to accept requests from other, liked and trusted, family members and friends. There are a few "grabber" folk, including my brother, on a "no way in hell" list that's mostly implicit as she's both sensible and pretty much knows who they all are. It helps that, in our case, money's no issue....we/she gots more than enough of that.
    NRA Benefactor

Grabbers must be the same as Vultures. I hate Vultures. I got a sister who's gonna be a Vulture. I can feel it in my cells.
    My moms not getting around too good. I think she's already thinking of her meager bank account.
    She told me not long ago I had a lot of guns, she doesn't have any so I should give her one. I told her I got alot of guns cause I want a lot of guns and I've worked to get them. I told her Trump has lots of millions I don't have any, but I doubt he'll give me one.

I really don't have anything appropriate for her but I'll take care of it. Cause I want to, not because she deserves it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've been passing a few on to family (youngsters) the past ten or so years. My wife and I made a deal a number of years ago; if I go first, she knows which firearms must be passed to family, and the rest she can sell and throw one hell of a party for herself. She has been collecting dolls for a number of years, but quit when I finally said every time she buys another doll, I get to buy another firearm. Same deal goes with the dolls if she goes first. Fortunately for me, she has already passed the family dolls on so I don't have to worry about remembering what goes to who.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I don't want to rush things but can I get your wife's phone number?
    Are you sure? She qualified at 70 for her carry permit shooting 232/250 and they don't call her "the dragon lady" for nothing.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

This is interesting because the responses have come from those who are obviously old enough to understand there is an end. I had a customer who was diagnosed with COPD and it was going to kill him within a couple of years. He listed his collection and I posted it at the range where I work PT. We got very fair prices on the guns and handloading equipment. I bought an LCP with laser just because nobody else wanted it. I paid him over market value just because it made me feel good.
    He died shortly after that and his widow called me and asked if I wanted the loose stuff, holsters, cleaning equipment and some ammo. I went over and gathered up a lot of things we all have in our gun stuff box plus over 7000 rounds of .22 from assorted manufacturers. I suggested we employees of the range use that ammo and our personal 22's to teach new shooters that come into our range and their boyfriend, husband, or father hands them a .357 mag or 40 cal Glock for their first shooting experience. Prior to that we RSO's were donating our personal ammo for that purpose and back a few years when .22 was nearly impossible to find, we were letting others burn our own stash.

Donating is something to consider for those with a large supply of ammo.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

I’m gonna keep ‘em till the gubmint comes for them... maybe longer
    ​O|||||||O

That's a good idea to donate ammo to a range or other training organization. Factory ammo, not Bubba's reloads of course.

Ok, what's wrong with my reloads?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

While I hope we all live forever it's a good thing to have some of things official, written down, like a will. We keep saying we're gonna make a will but we never get round tuit.

I've helped several folks including my mom twice where a guy dies with a lot in one case and a few special ones in another case.
    In both cases the man was clear in what he wanted to happen to his guns. In the second case it didn't happen. I tried to buy a nice early 1911 from him but he wanted it to go to his Law Enforcement grandson. I was of course totally ok with that. Alas it didn't happen, several adult kids, a couple vultures, one with a lawyer on speed dial and I'm not sure what happened but grandson didnt' get it.

In the first case a significant other of more than 20 years with a pile of very nice guns, most of which I played 3rd party in acquiring. I spent a lot of time putting a value on them. My mom was very diplomatic and divided everything up I believe 7 ways. Most of the adult kids hadn't been in contact for the entire 20 years I knew him. Sure circled over head when he passed. My mom ended up with nothing, I did get a nice Woodsman Match Target out of that one and must missed a really nice 03 Springfield, on sensory overload I didn't acknowledge what it was and didn't try hard enough.

Course I guess when your gone, it don't really matter what happens on this side, cept taking care of family left behind. (If they ain't vultures).

See ya on the other side.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan