Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: People take concealed carry far too seriously....

Sue under the ADA, they have to accomodate your “differences.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Many depts around here are acquiring RMR's for their officers, especially those with tired eyes that have trouble with quals.
    We have one so far for a detective. Its on all the time, no switch and supposedly last for a very long time.
    It's a definite learning curve to use them and be able to acquire the dot quickly. Holding the one we have I always find it to come up high and have to tip the nose down.
    I'm really not into them myself yet. They claim there will be a day when everyone will have them on duty guns. Maybe there will be a day when deaf derelicts in wheelchairs can be cops?
    Interesting! I have yet to try one on a handgun, but had one on an AR once. Thought it was nifty. I heard once (maybe on this site), that in a defense situation, if you explain in court that you were able to take the time to align your poa with your sights that you may be in trouble as the threat was not eminent enough to represent a true threat (you had the time to evade). I would like to try one on a pistol though!

Btw, a lot of your posts make me laugh. You may have missed your calling!

Having recently put an RMR style sight on my Ruger MK IV, I have to agree with the Colonel.

By the time I actually acquire the dot and put it on target, I'd be in trouble - and as da Bird points out, in more ways than one.

For the guns I CCW the most, I prefer a sight like this:

https://lakelinellc.com/shop/truglo-...-new-dovetail/

Of course, night sights are strictly optional, but for me, I'm becoming less and less inclined to head in that direction.

The training I get has lead me to concentrate on point shooting, and mainly just concentrating on the front sight. Kahr stock sights work dandy for this, IMO.

The longer I own and practice with my Kahrs, the more I realize just how well they are designed for self defense applications.

Yeah, my MK9 is all gussied up, but the rest of my Kahrs really are pretty much stock, other than sights and grips (usually Talons). God forbid, if you do have to use your CCW in a self defense situation, it's probably gonna be confiscated, and you may not get it back for a long time - if ever. Having a stock CCW makes it easier to replace quickly with an identical piece.

Colonel, do they confiscate guns from lawful self-defense shootings in your department?

Every one of my snubbies and that of my daughters Mod. 60 Pro Series have Crimspn Trace lasergrips in one configuration or another. Point and shoot guns yes but over the last seven years I have seen people shoot with and without lasers. I can guarantee you at 30' the groups with a laser are one fourth the size of those shooting using the gutter sights found on most snubbies plus I am a strong believer that a red or green dot on the chest of an aggressor just may prevent one from actually pulling the trigger.
    Some day we can discuss the other five strong reasons to have a laser on your short barreled carry gun.
    Remember, they do have an "off switch" for ones main range training.
    My 2¢
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Colonel, do they confiscate guns from lawful self-defense shootings in your department?
    Oh yeah, everybody does. It isn't us so much that wants to do that, it's lawyers and prosecutors.
    We had two MP5's and several duty guns taken in a dept shooting years ago. They told me to write them off we'd never get them back.
    It took me about 2 years but I finally got them back. They were rusty and nasty but I got them cleaned up.

Even a lawful defense shooting, they have to dink around and make sure. You can generally expect to be without your gun for at least a year.

It really ticks me off that whole deal. When I was running the property room we got a bunch of nice guns from one guy in, don't recall why, a DV or something, knew they would go back eventually but some has finger print powder and stuff all over them. I think they were stolen now that I ponder it.
    I knew it would take a long time for the lawyers to give them up, so I invited the owner in, told him I couldn't give them back but he could bring his cleaning stuff and oil and we'd clean them up so they didn't go bad waiting around. He was quite appreciative of that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I enjoy showing my ignorance. What the hell is an RMR? And a WML, while I'm at it?
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    I enjoy showing my ignorance. What the hell is an RMR? And a WML, while I'm at it?
    RMR is Ruggedized Miniature Reflex, Trijicon's small red dot sight for pistols. WML is Weapon Mounted Light, the generic term for a weapon light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    ......, so I invited the owner in, told him I couldn't give them back but he could bring his cleaning stuff and oil and we'd clean them up so they didn't go bad waiting around. He was quite appreciative of that.
    Thats just mighty nice there. That should get you a special place in either Gun Heaven or city employee heaven if there is such a place.

Tell the violets I’m nominating you for employee of the year.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Unless I get an operation I'll never be employee of the year. We do have a second dude again in the records area, so it's like 2 - 6 again.
    I probably would have lost my job if certain people and lawyers found out I let the guy clean his guns, seriously.
    LE, one of the few areas where you can do everything right and still get fired............cept me of course, I sometimes even try and I'm still here.????
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."