Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CW9 Light Strike and Failure To Fire

Angry CW9 Light Strike and Failure To Fire

Purchased a new Cw9 and am having a terrible time with the firing pin not striking the primer hard enough to fire the cartridge. I have tried Blazer Brass Fmj, Remington green box jhp, sig sauer elite performance jhp and federal hydra shock ammo and all of them fail at random times with light primer strikes in this gun. I have a Glock 19 and have never had a primer failure. Is this common in this gun?

I bought this gun because i wanted a single stack 9mm and liked the way it fit my hand. Plus, i didn’t see too many issues on the interwebz with this partficular model. Did i just get a lemon? I hope Kahr fixes it. This dud is going back to the factory. I really like the trigger and it carries like a dream.

The dang thing doesn’t do me any good if it doesn’t go boom when i pull the trigger.

First thought is maybe junk in the striker channel. Don't see it much any more but in the past there was left over machining junk left behind.

You can take the slide off, hold down the drop safety on the bottom of the slide and push the striker back and forth and see if it moves freely. Should be able to hold the drop safety down shake it and have the striker rattle.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    First thought is maybe junk in the striker channel. Don't see it much any more but in the past there was left over machining junk left behind.

You can take the slide off, hold down the drop safety on the bottom of the slide and push the striker back and forth and see if it moves freely. Should be able to hold the drop safety down shake it and have the striker rattle.
    Exactly what he said. The CW9 is an excellent pistol. You’ll get it straightened out.

Welcome me to the forum by the way.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Exactly what he said. The CW9 is an excellent pistol. You’ll get it straightened out.

Welcome me to the forum by the way.

thank you you for the welcome. where would the drop safety be? is it that small button near the firing pin channel?

Yes, I wish I could post pictures and diagrams like Greg here does. It's on the bottom of the slide near the back. It's spring loaded. Easily depressed. This clears the way so the striker can go through its full travel.
    Many use brake cleaner to flush out the striker channel and doing this same thing while doing this should help too.
    Mine don't seem to accumulate junk and they were clean when I got them new but some have found junk in there.
    I'll see if I can find a picture, I know there are some here.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Cleaning out the striker channel is a good starting point. If that doesn't work contact Kahr and describe the issue and that you would like a new recoil spring. They'll send you one free of charge. Same thing happened to my CW9 and a new recoil spring solved the problem.

Check to make sure the slide is all of the way forward. Just a bit back could keep the striker from hitting hard enough. Sharpetop above mentioned recoil springs as a cure, and that could be a reason for the slide not going all the way forward. If its not a dirty striker channel or weak recoil springs the next thing would be to check for a tight chamber with a "plunk test"

I'd also check the extractor tension, too much tension can give the symptoms of a weak recoil spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Yes, I wish I could post pictures and diagrams like Greg here does. It's on the bottom of the slide near the back. It's spring loaded. Easily depressed. This clears the way so the striker can go through its full travel.
    Many use brake cleaner to flush out the striker channel and doing this same thing while doing this should help too.
    Mine don't seem to accumulate junk and they were clean when I got them new but some have found junk in there.
    I'll see if I can find a picture, I know there are some here.

Thank you you for the wealth of information guys. Since this is a brand new pistol I am going to give Kahr the chance to make it right before I attempt any tinkering. I’m hopeful because I want this pistol to be my concealed carry. I’ll update my journey.

So far I have put 400ish rounds through it with one failure to extract (stove pipe) which happened during the 200 round break in period so i take that with a grain of salt. And, twenty or so light primer strikes mostly after the 200 round beak in. I only had one light primer strike during the 1st 200 rounds with the rest coming between rounds 200-400.

I had my CW9 for almost 3 years and never had a light strike. Something is wrong with your gun, it is not normal.