Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CW9 Light Strike and Failure To Fire

Do not oil the striker channel. If you oiled it then that is most likely the problem. If you didn't oil it then powder residue from the first 200 rounds may have got into is and is preventing full movement toward the primer. Other causes may be the ammo you are shooting is slightly out of spec. Are you shooting factory or reloads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    Do not oil the striker channel. If you oiled it then that is most likely the problem. If you didn't oil it then powder residue from the first 200 rounds may have got into is and is preventing full movement toward the primer. Other causes may be the ammo you are shooting is slightly out of spec. Are you shooting factory or reloads?
    Straight factory loads. I don't do any reloading. Blazer brass, federal hst, remington green and white box, and sig sauer elite performance. All of them malfunction at random intervals and all but one of the malfunctions have come past the 200 round break in period.

Did not oil anywhere near the striker channel. I'm very conservative on lubrication. I have RMA'd the pistol back to Kahr. I am giving them a chance to fix it before I move on to a different pistol for my edc.

Customer service to this point has been good. I'll see what the pistol does when I get it back.

I have to be honest though, I don't trust this pistol at this point. There are way too many highly reliable pistols out there and I'm not going to trust my life to something that doesn't go boom when I pull the trigger.

I will put several hundred rounds downrange when I get it back. Hopefully this is a one off quirk and Kahr fixes it right the first time. Until then, I'm back to carrying my Glock 19. Its a brick and it's not light and it pulls my britches down a bit but it also goes boom everytime I pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ingram View Post
    Straight factory loads. I don't do any reloading. Blazer brass, federal hst, remington green and white box, and sig sauer elite performance. All of them malfunction at random intervals and all but one of the malfunctions have come past the 200 round break in period.

Did not oil anywhere near the striker channel. I'm very conservative on lubrication. I have RMA'd the pistol back to Kahr. I am giving them a chance to fix it before I move on to a different pistol for my edc.

Customer service to this point has been good. I'll see what the pistol does when I get it back.

I have to be honest though, I don't trust this pistol at this point. There are way too many highly reliable pistols out there and I'm not going to trust my life to something that doesn't go boom when I pull the trigger.

I will put several hundred rounds downrange when I get it back. Hopefully this is a one off quirk and Kahr fixes it right the first time. Until then, I'm back to carrying my Glock 19. Its a brick and it's not light and it pulls my britches down a bit but it also goes boom everytime I pull the trigger.
    Im in the same boat with my P9! Its at the factor right now getting repaired for the 2nd time. I don't trust this gun anymore!!
    Last edited by bstep; 12-18-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: correct grammar

The light strikes sure sound like a bit of manufacturing junk in the striker channel with powder residue from the first 200 rounds added in. When you get the gun back and start shooting it again make sure to spray cleaner through the hole in the bottom of the striker channel to keep it clean. I've put 200+ rounds through my CW380 in a session without a problem but I did clean the striker channel when new. Good luck, you'll love the gun when you get it shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    The light strikes sure sound like a bit of manufacturing junk in the striker channel with powder residue from the first 200 rounds added in. When you get the gun back and start shooting it again make sure to spray cleaner through the hole in the bottom of the striker channel to keep it clean. I've put 200+ rounds through my CW380 in a session without a problem but I did clean the striker channel when new. Good luck, you'll love the gun when you get it shooting.
    Thank you for the words of wisdom. I really want to like this pistol. When I get it back I'm planning on shooting the darned thing a ton to see if I can trust it with my life.

Just wondering, have you field stripped it just to have a look inside? I think dustnchips may be on the right track.

I bought a new CW9 awhile back and when I stripped it like I do to all my new pistols to check things out, there were tiny bits of plastic flashing from the manufacturing process everywhere. Took me over 3 hours to get all the crud out. Ran perfectly after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gebe View Post
    Just wondering, have you field stripped it just to have a look inside? I think dustnchips may be on the right track.

I bought a new CW9 awhile back and when I stripped it like I do to all my new pistols to check things out, there were tiny bits of plastic flashing from the manufacturing process everywhere. Took me over 3 hours to get all the crud out. Ran perfectly after that.

I did a basic strip and clean. I didn’t remove the firing pin or anything more than taking off the slide and cleaning the barrel/spring/rod/ and the surface innards of the gun.

Kahr has it in their factory right now. I’m looking forward to getting it back and shooting it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ingram View Post
    I am going to give Kahr the chance to make it right before I attempt any tinkering.
    That's probably the wisest decision, since the problem existed right out of the box. But eventually you'll need to learn to yank the striker and clean up the channel. Lubricant, powder fouling, and other scrunge will find it's way in there, potentially diminishing reliability. You don't want the first indication of "too much dirt" to be the day when you REALLY NEED the gun to function.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    That's probably the wisest decision, since the problem existed right out of the box. But eventually you'll need to learn to yank the striker and clean up the channel. Lubricant, powder fouling, and other scrunge will find it's way in there, potentially diminishing reliability. You don't want the first indication of "too much dirt" to be the day when you REALLY NEED the gun to function.

i agree with what you are saying. however, my edc won’t be a finicky ammo sensitive gun. i’m not saying this gun is...yet. i believe in proper cleaning and maintenance but if it gets to the point that i have to detail strip this gun after every 200 rounds just to get it to go bang, it will no longer be my gun. 😄

You certainly won't have too. Usually if there's junk its from the start. I take mine apart very rarely and usually find that it wasn't necessary at all.
    It's easy to flush it out without disassembly so really no concern once they get it sorted out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."