Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: CW380 - 4 months old - ~700 rounds, damage to barrel?

Unhappy CW380 - 4 months old - ~700 rounds, damage to barrel?

I've had my Kahr CW380 since August, and have put about 700 rounds through it. Have tested with a variety of ammo, (some work better than others), but have been shooting mostly Speer lawman 95gr brass ammo, since I got a good deal on 1000 rounds. After the range this weekend, while cleaning the gun, I noticed some damage to the rear part of the barrel... a very sharp chip out of the steel, that almost cut my finger. It's near the part of the barrel that touches the slide, by the firing pin. Images attached:

https://imgur.com/a/98pyVDg

I'm worried that the steel is defective, and if this could cause a catastrophic failure later on. Also whether Kahr would allow a RMA or if this is normal. Has anyone seen this before with their Kahr?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomar45 View Post
    I've had my Kahr CW380 since August, and have put about 700 rounds through it. Have tested with a variety of ammo, (some work better than others), but have been shooting mostly Speer lawman 95gr brass ammo, since I got a good deal on 1000 rounds. After the range this weekend, while cleaning the gun, I noticed some damage to the rear part of the barrel... a very sharp chip out of the steel, that almost cut my finger. It's near the part of the barrel that touches the slide, by the firing pin. Images attached:

https://imgur.com/a/98pyVDg

I'm worried that the steel is defective, and if this could cause a catastrophic failure later on. Also whether Kahr would allow a RMA or if this is normal. Has anyone seen this before with their Kahr?
    Welcome to the forums

The damage/wear shown in your photo is common enough and poses no real issue outside of it being unsightly and sometimes sharp.
    Here are few posts that are germane to the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Mangled barrel hood:

Issue: Outside edge of the barrel hood appears damaged (visible in the left hand portion of the photo below). This is the result of wear and happens as hood rubs against the slide. It should not progress past what is shown in the photo and is purely cosmetic at this point.

If you desire to, the sharp points can be knocked down with a file (see left side of photo below). I would not go any further than than this (lightly knocking the points down). I did so on my pistol and have seen no further gouging.

Quote Originally Posted by dmdalton View Post
    Thanks for all the info gents. Just took possession of a new CW45. Until this last pic I didn't realize that the "notch" was supposed to be there on all of them. Well mine had no "notch" but I prepped it per instructions elsewhere on this forum and put about 120 rounds through it. Ran pretty well with one light primer strike, one stovepipe and several FTRB. However the FTRB's were my fault as they were with very light reloads (4.0 grn Bullseye over 200 LSWC). The only reason I tried them was I was short on FMJ rounds.

All in all I put 50 of the 230 Rem Golden Saber, 40 Win Whitebox 230 and 40 light reloads.

When I stripped it after the range visit I saw the damage. I was really not looking forward to sending it back so I gave it a go with my MiniMill and a 3/16" endmill. Came out great. Cleaned it up with a cratex tip in the dremel and all is good.

I also had the very very sharp corner on the barrel hood so I took care of that with the cratex as well.

Thanks for all your help guys, you are a world of knowledge!

BTW, really like this gun. Can't believe how controllable it is shooting 45 acp rounds. Hopefully they will get their quality control working right.

Dave D
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Although I’ve only owned three Kahrs, I feel that I’ve got a grasp on some of their common problems. On all three of my polymer Kahrs CW380, CW40 and CM9, I’ve noticed this wear in the same location as you. I’ve also noticed that it will wear to a certain point and then stop. You can contact Kahr or just file the edges off to smooth them. Totally your decision but I wouldn’t be worried about safety or a failure as you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk