Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Crowning... Anyone here done that?

A nice to have on a custom 1911, but I have not had that done to any of my existing guns and would not feel comfortable attempting it myself.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    As long as it's kind of show and tell............one of my fav's with a nice front end.
    Man I just love it! I’ve always been a fan of revolvers with real sights. Makes the world of difference in function and appearance. That barrel job fits perfect on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    A nice to have on a custom 1911, but I have not had that done to any of my existing guns and would not feel comfortable attempting it myself.
    I’ve found myself doing a lot of things that scare me a bit, more and more as time goes. BUT, I don’t attempt anything without doing ample research, or without going very slow and easy with it. I have yet to do a real trigger job on anything (sear to hammer connection), and may not ever. I’ll polish trigger bows (where they contact the frame), trigger top and bottoms, trigger bow channels in the frame, hammer sides or any other contact areas where burrs etc. may cause unessesary friction, bit those hammer to sear contact points I’ll leave to a pro for now. But, I may do it one day, once the proper tools are bought and enough education the matter has been internalized. That one is just too risky at this point. : )

I hear ya on the trigger job, every time I read a local add for a 1911 "with a trigger job" I cringe. I was looking at a Cold Gold Cup once that had a bubba trigger job. The trigger was extremely light, around 1.5-2.0 lbs. I cocked it, engaged the thumb safety, dropped the safety, the hammer dropped too? I decided I didn't need the hassle.
    NRA Benefactor

For barrel protection for a 1911 pattern gun with a barrel bushing, there might be an easier solution. Installing a thicker flange bushing can add protection to prevent anything from hitting the muzzle. Evolution Gun Works (EGWguns.com) sells them, as do many others.
    Last edited by finpro; 12-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    I hear ya on the trigger job, every time I read a local add for a 1911 "with a trigger job" I cringe. I was looking at a Cold Gold Cup once that had a bubba trigger job. The trigger was extremely light, around 1.5-2.0 lbs. I cocked it, engaged the thumb safety, dropped the safety, the hammer dropped too? I decided I didn't need the hassle.
    I can see that. Me, I'd use that dorked up action job to negotiate the price down, a lot, if possible and then simply correct the problem. Despite what I said about barrel crowning (never tried that 'cause I don't see it as needed) I am a pretty damn good amateur/pro am 'smith wrt to three particular handguns.....anything 1911, Smith revolvers, and Ruger S/As.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    For barrel protection for a 1911 pattern gun with a barrel bushing, there might be an easier solution. Installing a thicker flange bushing can add protection to prevent anything from hitting the muzzle. Evolution Gun Works (EGW.com) sells them, as do many others.
    Good thought.
    NRA Benefactor

I see barrel crowning as much more useful and meaningful on a rifle than on a pistol. If your dinging up the crown on a handgun there's some abuse going on that shouldn't be.

It's easy to ding up a rifle crown, trip on a slippery rock while crossing the Nishnabockney river, yard wide and a foot deep or something.
    Getting in and out of the Hummer, that sort of thing.

I will admit that it does often times look cool and looking cool is job one with me so even if it don't do nothing but looks cool, it's a keeper.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    I almost bought a revolver once...must have been the same guy! He told me about the trigger job...I cocked it, pushed a tiny bit on the hammer, and SNAP!

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    For barrel protection for a 1911 pattern gun with a barrel bushing, there might be an easier solution. Installing a thicker flange bushing can add protection to prevent anything from hitting the muzzle. Evolution Gun Works (EGW.com) sells them, as do many others.
    Good info! I'm mostly wanting it for the cool factor. I think they look much nicer that way! Blingaholic here! : )