Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know M1’s?

Default Anyone Know M1’s?

I was offered what I think is a good deal today, so I bought it without knowing too much. It is an Inland M1 30 cal carbine. Surprised by how lightweight it is! Bought it alongside a Stainless mini 14.
    From what net searching I’ve done, it has either been chromed by a previous owner, or by the military as a parade gun? It looks to me to be in pretty darn good shape (the guy was selling his dads guns, and they were all in very nice, well cared for shape).
    The stock has the IO in the hole for the sling. The barell is stamped with Inland MFG Div General Motors 1-45. Other than some of the chrome being worn on the bolt, the rest of the chrome is in really nice shape. No “import” or other stampings that I can find, other than what looks like factory stampings on the receiver (serial #, Inland, etc.).
    So, is this worth much being that it’s chromed? Or should I just shoot it and enjoy it? If worth enough I may try to trade for another 1911!!!!

Last edited by BirdsThaWord; 12-21-2018 at 04:37 PM.

That's plumb pretty. I'm not expert on them. I have a Korean war bring back that's mint. Guy I got it from must have been an officer, I don't think it was ever out of the canvas bag it came with. I've never shot it (yet). I think it's an Inland too but I'll have to double check that.

If you decide to swap for a 1911 lets talk. I'd have to wrap my mind around parting with one but it's possible. Depends on what brand your looking for.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I do know know M1 carbines well, A lot from my early days in the military, but with some current knowledge, also. Close as I can tell from your pics and text wrt it's background, it's original Inland production from WWII era. I agree it may well have been reworked into a Parade gun...the scenario certainly fits.

I don't know whether dehorning and chrome plating will add or detract from it's value but I can tell you this....circa six months ago I picked up an in Excellent+ original condition 1944/45 M1 Carbine for my Korean war vet bil/cousin for his 85th birthday. $973 and I considered that close to a steal.

a couple more bits....No Inland production marked M1 will be an import. But, just for awareness, Inland has fairly recently restared production using the original tooling. These new guns are not replicas, simply current production. Inland has added a small discreet stamping on the underside of somewhere to prevent with WWII production misrepresentation/fraud. Irrespective, especially given your Polish fetish, I would not trade this for any 1911 out there. Nor would I lock it up a display or gun safe. Keep it and shoot it!!
    NRA Benefactor

I checked mine is a Quality Hardware and Machine. It's kind of minty if I say so myself. Stock is really good wood and not dinged at all.
    Photo evidence. I do know that they bring large bucks, I thought Garands were pricey but the M1's go big too.

Here's the canvas bag that came with it. Had two full mags in the bag and another in the gun.

I got the 1942 1911 he carried out of the same duffle bag, also fully loaded since Korea. It's not quite as perfect as the M1 but it's real nice too.

Still feel really lucky.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I checked mine is a Quality Hardware and Machine. It's kind of minty if I say so myself. Stock is really good wood and not dinged at all.
    Photo evidence. I do know that they bring large bucks, I thought Garands were pricey but the M1's go big too.

I got the 1942 1911 he carried out of the same duffle bag, also fully loaded since Korea. It's not quite as perfect as the M1 but it's real nice too.

Still feel really lucky.
    And rarer than hen's teeth! Damn nice gun.
    NRA Benefactor

Well I wish I had stuck around to read these emails! I posed the same question on another forum right after this one and got a response before Bawanna's offer (which I would have jumped on). On the other forum, a guy said he thought $500-$600. I showed that to my buddy and he offered me $450. I just paid $250, so I jumped on it. Sorry Bawanna! If either of you want it I can make a connection for you!

Bawanna, yours looks brand new!

I wanted an MI Carbine about 15 years ago but changed my mind when I found out what they cost. I still remembered $60 carbines back in the sixties. I settled for a HI-Point carbine and that turned out to be a reliable gun and decent shooting gun.

[QUOTE=Bawanna;403175] I have a Korean war bring back that's mint. Guy I got it from must have been an officer, I don't think it was ever out of the canvas bag it came with.

Hey Bawanna, I represent that remark. I was an officer and my Browning service pistol came back from VN well worn.

Absolutely no disrespect O'Dell. This guy must have been the same. His 1911 which I have showed some wear, he even put stag grips on the thing. But the rifle as you can see probably stayed in the bag, it sure didn't see much action.
    Don't mean he or you weren't in the thick of things and I thank you both for being there. I kind of hate myself in hindsight for the line. Didn't mean it how you took it.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan