Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new

Thread: P380

Default P380

Just purchased a Blackened Stainless steel P380 with night sights. Cost was $543. Previously owned a 40 cal and pm45, I have found out the only good gun is the one you brought and even though the 45s' size was small I still found it uncomfortable to carry, I traded it in on a Kimber micro carry. The kimber is a work of art but I soon found the safety was a problem for me. I have no idea what to expect in a gun fight but I believe it would be intense and if I was able to keep from pooping my pants I know the safety was going to add another step and one I just didn't need in a already stressful situation. I purchased the P380 even though there seem to be some feed problems but there seen to be many more responsives that praise the p380 than cuss it. also I'm hoping that Kahr has refined this gun over the years. Its size and weight are incredible and I think I have found a gun that I will be happy to carry even in the GA heat.

dusty

Welcome, Dusty!

I love my P380, & hope you end up loving yours.

-Wlf

+1 a hundred times over...

My P380 is a favorite to shoot at the range. I had a Sig P938, and like you was concerned about getting the safety off under stress so I found myself grabbing the P380 a lot. I now have the P365 as my edc although I find myself fondling the P380 at times. It’s just so small and light!
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Dusty,

I commend your analysis. I have been shot at / shot back (military) and know what stress can do to anything but the simplest routines.

For a shorts & t-shirt environment (most of the year where I live), my requirements for a concealed carry self defense pistol are small, light, simple, safe, effective, quick reloading and reliable. I DON'T want a safety, I DON'T want an exposed hammer and I DON'T want a SA trigger or a short / light trigger pull. A concealed / shrouded hammer DAO revolver checks most of the boxes, but even the smallest revolver is considerably longer and wider than a P380 and, under stress, I can't reload a revolver nearly as quickly as I can change a magazine.

The one glaring problem with Kahr 380 pistols is the striker. You can find many reports of failures on this site and others. I experienced two broken strikers with my P380 during the first 500 rounds before installing a Lakeline striker (https://lakelinellc.com/shop/ultimat...r-380-pistols/). A broken striker is not a big deal with a range pistol, but it is a very big deal if it happens with a concealed carry self defense pistol in a SHTF situation. Do yourself a favor and eliminate the broken striker issue.

I have a CW380, mostly the same gun as a P380. I usually carry it in preference to my PM9. Striker change is a must and Mag Guts are a great addition. Enjoy the gun.

I have 600 rounds through my CT380 that I bought last April with the factory striker. No issues yet.

I did buy a Lakeline replacement but haven’t installed it.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Good points Linthead. I completely forgot to mention the striker. That is a must have. I lost count of how many strikers I went through before I bought the Lakeline. It was at least 4 times.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm